Highlighted

No matter what I do, compound path won't work

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This happens from time to time. I'm a frequent Illustrator user. I understand very well how to make a compound path. The holes in front, no strokes, no grouping. I have checked every single thing, from opacity to making sure the path is entirely closed, and yet it won't work on some of my graphics.

Not that this should matter but they started as image traced graphics that I expanded. This always seem to create two overlapping paths. I deleted the additional one and only have one path for each shape.

I also restarted Illustrator.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob_Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Jane,

Pathfinder>Minus front is your friend.

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

No matter what I do, compound path won't work

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This happens from time to time. I'm a frequent Illustrator user. I understand very well how to make a compound path. The holes in front, no strokes, no grouping. I have checked every single thing, from opacity to making sure the path is entirely closed, and yet it won't work on some of my graphics.

Not that this should matter but they started as image traced graphics that I expanded. This always seem to create two overlapping paths. I deleted the additional one and only have one path for each shape.

I also restarted Illustrator.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob_Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Jane,

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for kicks, I copied and pasted the graphic into InDesign and pasted it back into Illustrator and was able to finally get compound path to work. But should I have to use that workaround?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, double check your layers and see what you have, maybe you have to go to object menu and 

Ungroup many times until you dont see is part of a group

expand appearance

check is not a clipping mask

LMK

regards

E

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screenshot of your paths and the layers panel (with those paths visible in it)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear to god nothing is grouped. No clipping mask. See attached image. The rhubarb stalk on the left worked but only after I pasted it into InDesign, then cut and pasted it back into Illustrator. However, the stalk on the right won't compound path correctly. In the layers palette, you'll see the compound path (the stalk on the left). And the other sublayers are the paths for the stalk on the right. The main (outer stalk) is sent to back.

I know it must be frustrating to deal with people who haven't checked that the proverbial plug is actually plugged in, but I really have checked everything. I have even simplified path just to see if that's what was preventing compound path.Screenshot 2020-07-21 18.43.12.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Go to object path and reverse path direction

LMK

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the attributes panel, try using the Even-Odd Fill Rule.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thank you. I use pathfinder all the time but rarely that option.

Is there any structural difference from compound path? I noticed that now "release" is an option

under compound path so I suppose not.

The above suggestion to reverse path direction didn't work and I don't seen an even/odd rule option.

Can't believe I struggled this long. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Even/Odd Full Rule is here:

Doug_A_Roberts_0-1595439112576.png

It's just something else to check when compound paths are not behaving as you expect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Jane.

Normally you can use either with the same outcome (as with one/non overlapping path(s) on top of a larger path).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines