Highlighted

None colour swatch

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I guess I know the answer to that (no) but wanted to double check with forum members.

Is it possible to create a swatch with colour "None"? "None" is available as a swatch in the swatches panel but I cannot create a swatch and set its values to "None".

This is for CS4. Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Charu Rajput | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

As far as I know, A simple answer to your question is

No, you cannot. Also, you cannot duplicate [None] swatch or give this name to any other swatch.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

None colour swatch

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I guess I know the answer to that (no) but wanted to double check with forum members.

Is it possible to create a swatch with colour "None"? "None" is available as a swatch in the swatches panel but I cannot create a swatch and set its values to "None".

This is for CS4. Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Charu Rajput | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

No, you cannot. Also, you cannot duplicate [None] swatch or give this name to any other swatch.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to ask, as there already is a swatch is there a particular reason you need a duplicate?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want to be able to change the value later on, as a global swatch. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way of setting the values to "None".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of the change?

What's the end result trying to achieve?

Is this just for one element or multiple?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 1
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu. I suspected that. It's unfortunate that it can't be done because it would be useful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not sure why you want to specifically use [NONE] and change later, I mean if you can describe any reason behind that or your worflow, may be we can come up another solution.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I explained earlier, I could then change the value of the colour later and if I simply want to remove it, I could set the colour to "None" within the variable. That could be done for a symbol too.

Since "None" is offered within the swatch panel, it would make sense that it is also an option when creating a swatch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be curious to get an actual workflow example where this could be helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 1
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it actually happened. I had instances of a symbol for part of which I had used a global swatch, which originally was set to some colour value. Later on, I was confronted with some issues in the artwork which made me rethink the design. Part of the "redesign" meant that I had to change the swatch colour for those symbols to "None". If I could do that via the swatch panel in the global swatch, I would have just set the value to "None" and that would be done. Instead, I had to go into each symbol and change the swatch colour from global swatch to swatch "None".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing the symbol and deleting that shape is not an option?

Just asking because editing a global swatch and editing a symbol basically have the same effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did end up editing each symbol and setting the colour to None. But since I had used the same global swatch for each symbol, if I could set that "None" value in the global swatch, it would have been much faster (I would not have to repeat the change manually for each symbol). Also, now that I have set this colour to "None" inside the symbol, I would have to manually edit each symbol again if for some reason, I decide to change the colour again! All that would have been a breeze if the swatch panel allowed "None" as a "colour" value like any other colour value for a global swatch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I did not understand how you wanted to use an additional no-fill swatch. Nonetheless, I went ahead a gave it a try with a script. I was able to create it, but as with the original [None] swatch, you can't do much with it, other that applying it.

// create a None (no color) swatch
// carlos canto 06/17/2020

var idoc = app.activeDocument;

var s = idoc.swatches.add();
s.name = 'None';
s.color = new NoColor();

NoColorSwatch.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 1
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos for this info.

Can we do this without script as well?

I could not find NoColor option on UI.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marked @Carlos answer as correct, because it is possible via script to create NONE swatch. Also, scripting allowed to create swatch with name '[NONE]' as well.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu. I didn't want to create a swatch with "None" colour but to change the value of an existing global swatch from some colour value to "None". That script does not do what I described though maybe it is possible via script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, So you are saying just an example. You want to set CMYK Red color to [NONE]. If yes that is the case, try following script

var redSwatch = app.activeDocument.swatches.getByName('CMYK Red');
var noneSwatch = app.activeDocument.swatches.getByName('[None]');
redSwatch.color = noneSwatch.color;

To test above code, make sure swatch with name 'CMYK Red' exists in your document. Or you any other swatch name that exists in your document. Just to test and make sure that you are looking for this or something else.

Let us know if this what are you looking for. Or may be you can post screenshot to explain better.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu,

I'm afraid this script does not do the job. I describe my use case in an earlier post as a reply to Monika. This code changes the colour of the global swatch to none but the swatch is then no longer selectable in the swatch panel nor is it a global swatch anymore. Besides, the original global swatch was applied to a symbol and that symbol keeps the original colour after I run the script!

That being said, I have since gone on to make the modifications manually in my file (the hard way).

Perhaps you can mark as correct answer what I had originally tagged as correct answer.

Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, what you want to achieve, is only possible by editing each symbol, not by changing the swatch. Changing swatch color or value will not have effect over the symbol.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using static symbols or dynamic symbols?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt. Are you referring to "graphic" or "movie clip" type, as symbols were described in CS4? I thought that only mattered for flash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

createNone1.PNG

createNone2.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos. Sorry for the apparent contradiction. I further explained what I was trying to do in replying to Monika. The latter part of the sentence you highlighted also attempts to explain that. I do appreciate that you took the time to come up with a possible solution via script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no worries sPretzel, 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Resources