• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not a fan of how Illustrator handles opening PDFs

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can agree that the old way of opening up a page in a multi-page PDF, making an edit, hitting save and having the page re-insert isteslf in the PDF is over. Am I happy about it, no, but Adobe must have had their reasons. 

And don't tell me Adobe is not a PDF editing tool. PDFs are created by both InDesign and Illustrator and there are times a quick edit is needed or the native files are not available. Illustrator is often the last resort to fix something in a PDF when all other options are exhausted.

What I wish Illustrator did was to create a new file name when opening a multi-page PDF. The dialog box even says "a new document will be created when opening a multi-page PDF". However I've noticed the document name stays the same, so then if you are working away editing the page, and accidentally hit save, you overwrite your entire multi-page PDF. Why not call it "Docucment 1" or something? 

I may be missing something, but this is a bad UI and twice now I've overwritten my entire PDF because I hit save.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Hi yes, we understand what you are saying but some people like that feature also to overwrite some file for your ease you can do save as function hope in future we get something like this also...regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes, we understand what you are saying but some people like that feature also to overwrite some file for your ease you can do save as function hope in future we get something like this also...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is fair, but if the program is indeed creating a new file, then it should be given a new name or placeholder name - much like it would if opening a template file.s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines