Highlighted

Not able to select text object in Illustrator 24.2.3 on macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having an issue where I cannot select any text boxes within a specific file. It doesn't matter which layer the text is on, it's not selectable. It's behaving as if the text boxes are locked, but they are not locked objects and the layers are not locked. They only way I can select it is if I select all of the objects on a layer, but that's not helpful. Any ideas? I'm unable to move or edit the text.

System: MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Illustrator version: 2020 24.2.3

UPDATE - SOLVED-ISH: I was able to select the text after I selected everything on the layer, cut it/deleted it, and then pasted it back. Interestingly, if I 'pasted in place' it didn't work. However, if I just 'pasted' (I had to move everything back to where it was supposed to be), it worked. Very strange. If anyone knows why this may have happened, I'm very curious to know. It was an old file created about 10 years ago that I was updating, but it worked fine until the latest Illustrator update. Here's hoping I don't run into this issue again, but if someone else does, perhaps the cut & paste method will work for you too.

{Renamed by MOD}

Thanks Ashutosh,

It was an issue with a specific file - other files work fine at this time.

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Not able to select text object in Illustrator 24.2.3 on macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having an issue where I cannot select any text boxes within a specific file. It doesn't matter which layer the text is on, it's not selectable. It's behaving as if the text boxes are locked, but they are not locked objects and the layers are not locked. They only way I can select it is if I select all of the objects on a layer, but that's not helpful. Any ideas? I'm unable to move or edit the text.

System: MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Illustrator version: 2020 24.2.3

UPDATE - SOLVED-ISH: I was able to select the text after I selected everything on the layer, cut it/deleted it, and then pasted it back. Interestingly, if I 'pasted in place' it didn't work. However, if I just 'pasted' (I had to move everything back to where it was supposed to be), it worked. Very strange. If anyone knows why this may have happened, I'm very curious to know. It was an old file created about 10 years ago that I was updating, but it worked fine until the latest Illustrator update. Here's hoping I don't run into this issue again, but if someone else does, perhaps the cut & paste method will work for you too.

{Renamed by MOD}

Thanks Ashutosh,

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select the text within the layer panel itself?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I am able to do that. But there are several separate text boxes on the layer, so selecting them all at once isn't helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did this happen with a specific file or you see similar issue with other files as well? This information will help us assist you accordingly.
We also thank you for sharing the workaround you have found to fix this issue. It'll certainly help other users having similar concern.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ashutosh,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines