Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object centered in Illustrator is not centered in InDesign

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm creating a layout in Illustrator which I then place in InDesign. I'm able to center it to the artboard in Illustrator, but when I try to fit the content to the frame in InDesign it sits off the the left of the frame. I can't seem to center it.

Note: the object was created in Illustrator CS 6.0. I've been experiening this issue in InDesign CS 6.0 and in the latest release of  InDesign CC 16.1. I've also experienced the issue on two different computers. I'm not sure if it matters, but I did read about people having issues with these features, so I can confirm that Align to Pixel Grid and Scale Strokes & Effects are both turned off in Illustrator. 

Here's my original image as created in Illustrator. The artboard is 8" X 10" and the image is centered horizontally in the artboard.

Illustrator.jpg

Here's the same ai file placed into an 8" x 10" page in InDesign. Note that the frame is size of the entire page and I've tried using Fit Content to Frame, Fit Content Proportionally, and Center Content to correct the alignment of the image within the frame, but it keeps showing on the left side of the frame. I have no idea why. 

InDesign.jpg

In looking at these two images side by side, I'm also noticing that the same image appears larger on the InDesign page than it does on the Illustrator artboard, even though they're both set to be 8" x 10". I've noticed before that the of an item in Illustrator doesn't always seem to correspond to the size of something in InDesign. Can someone either please explain why this is or point me to a resource that does if you happen to know of one?

Any advice is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

In the Place dialog in InDesign show the Import Options (or hold down the Shift when clicking Open in the Place dialog) select one of the crop to options (like Media).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Place dialog in InDesign show the Import Options (or hold down the Shift when clicking Open in the Place dialog) select one of the crop to options (like Media).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you! I never would have found that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines