• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects having random fill when turned into pattern swatch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first attempt at making a pattern swatch in illustrator and I've run into an issue at the final step. After turning my pattern into a swatch and testing it one of my icons is altered with random fill and I can't figure out why. I tried going back to the icons original file and ungrouping everything, then it worked when turned into a swatch, but if I bring that new ungrouped icon into my final pattern it still comes out funny. I've attached screenshots to show clearly what I mean. Any and all help appreciated my deadline is fast approaching :s 

Thankyou x

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

I regret that I have no explanation for why this happens, but for some reason, in the process of generating your pattern (and it doesn’t happen when making a pattern of just the orange slices) the compound paths making up the magenta loop and most of the black segment borders spontaneously have their fill rules changed (See Attributes panel/read the documentation) so that where there was an opening or hole it is now filled.

It may be (I’m speculating) that the pattern as a whole, and these obj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I am not seeing a problem. Only one of the screenshots is downloadable for me, are there 2? Can you insert the image instead of link (the 4th icon from the right will embed it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the second screenshot 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 6.18.14 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are not filling with the pattern you made but perhaps a symbol, which is fine. I don't get the yellow blob that is surrounding the orange on the left, but it seems like there might be some sort of blending mode that is being applied on the right, there is a halo around the orange as well. I would need to see your layers panel expanded to see if anything is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the yellow blobs you're referring to are just shapes I've added to the design. I would happy to show the expanded layers panel but there are far too many items in the list for you to see it in a screenshot. Where would I look to find a blending mode or what should I be looking out for? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May have found part of the problem, the icons that are having issues use compound paths that are being released? Any way I stop that from happening? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make the orange into a symbol? That seems like a good way to work. You can tell if there is a blending mode or anything going on by either selecting it and looking at the appearance panel and seeing if any attributes are added there. Or looking at it in the layer panel itself. When selected, the little circle is sort of filled in when there is something going on. See example below. A blend mode can also be at the layer level, so check there as well.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.45.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't made them into symbols but since you mentioned it I tried making it into a symbol, there were no problems when I test ran it as a pattern. Yet when I replaced all of the oranges as symbols into the artwork and made a patten the same problem happened. I worked out that the pattern is showing what the symbol looks like when reflected, is this normal? 

The only effects on the layers I can see is opacity I added to those yellow blobs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symbol instances get disconnected from the symbol when you put them into a pattern. So there's no advantage creating a symbol when you want patterns.

I'm lost now and don't know what your real issue is anymore. Also it would really help if you could upload the AI file to Dropbox or the like and describe your issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e46peob5aynmwvf/AACRzUxeoatp0ko8NJufPqMSa?dl=0 

Hopefully, this link will work. Bear with me as I'm new to using illustrator and don't know a lot of the jargon. 

My issue is that when made into a pattern my illustrations are gaining some unexpected colour fills that I can't seem to prevent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regret that I have no explanation for why this happens, but for some reason, in the process of generating your pattern (and it doesn’t happen when making a pattern of just the orange slices) the compound paths making up the magenta loop and most of the black segment borders spontaneously have their fill rules changed (See Attributes panel/read the documentation) so that where there was an opening or hole it is now filled.

It may be (I’m speculating) that the pattern as a whole, and these objects in particular, are complex enough to cause a problem, and this is where it manifests. For starters, I would suggest that you try Object > Path > Simplify to reduce the number of anchor points, and open the layers panel to find and delete a fair number of tiny slivers of paths that are too small to affect the look of the artwork but add to its consumption of resources.

Someone more knowledgeable might offer more help, but this may be a start.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, it worked! I selected the whole pattern and simplified the paths and it came out perfect. Thank-you so much! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as I can see in your file, the cian element of the orange leaves (compound path) has been released during adding into a pattern and made again. I'm not sure how 😞
Now you can go to Pattern Edit mode (double-click on the swatch), in Layers panel find the leaves, for each one release the compound path.

compound1.jpg

You will see that the main shape is the lowest in the stack, So, you can selest all the details and create a new shape using Pathfinder > Minus Front

compound2.jpg

Repeat for all such elements and remove the doubled yellow areas which make unneeded overlaps

2021-01-16_17-26-48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm delighted that you were able to fix it. Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines