• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects on Illustrator move automatically when I try to select with Wacom Pen

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator 24.1.1 64-bit (Windows) and a new Wacom Cintiq 16 tablet. I like it a lot except one thing:

When I try to select an object by tapping with pen, 90% of the time the object gets dragged a miniscule distance. I can cntr-z and move it back, but this is a real pain and slows my workflow. I can selet with mouse and when I click it doesn't drag. However with the pen, the instant that you tap something it is ready to move. I don't have the steadiness of a neurosurgeon.

Any help?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

I'm having the same issue in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign on a MAcbook Pro running Mac OS Ventura 13.5. Installing a new Driver has not helped. Turning off Windows Ink in settings isn't an option since I'm not on a PC. When I "select" art or text in Illustrator or InDesign, the art or text immediately shifts, and you have to hit undo to correct that movement. When you click to select, or want to select multiple objects, they all move instead of remaining right where they are so you can change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

I can confirm that upgrading Rectangle Pro to the newest version solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. If I get it correctly there are 2 issues.

1. Unable to move objects with Mouse.
  2. When you select objects with Pen, they get moved automatically.

I am hopeful that these issues were fixed. If not, please try resetting Illustrator preferences and let us know how it goes:

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.
    Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I think I didn't explain well.  I can select objects with the mouse pointer or pen. (1) the mouse pointer works fine. (2) The problem is that as I select with the pen, the object moves slightly as soon as I touch it. Sometimes I just want to select an object to modify it, not to move it. I am begining to suspect this is just how it is to work with a pen. Not a great feature.

Basslice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - did you find an answer to this? I am having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Sometimes in addition I'm selecting and things are dragging automatically as well whether I'm using trackpad or Wacom. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Alyssa23618378gkh2@Erinn30946469kb6h,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble using your Wacom device with Illustrator. Would you mind trying to turn off Windows Ink under the tablet settings (https://support.wacom.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406612296727-How-to-adjust-Windows-Ink-settings-on-your...) and checking if it helps? Also, try removing all Wacom drivers and reinstalling the latest ones (https://support.wacom.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500006264601-How-do-I-uninstall-and-re-install-the-Waco...) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign on a MAcbook Pro running Mac OS Ventura 13.5. Installing a new Driver has not helped. Turning off Windows Ink in settings isn't an option since I'm not on a PC. When I "select" art or text in Illustrator or InDesign, the art or text immediately shifts, and you have to hit undo to correct that movement. When you click to select, or want to select multiple objects, they all move instead of remaining right where they are so you can change color for example or group objects. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anubhav Majumder I'm having the same issue using a MAC running Ventura 13.5. Can you help advise a solution? Art and text are shifting anytime they are selected in Illustrator or InDesign using a Wacom Pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Heather23914568mbgu@Gigabot,

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope the problem is resolved by now. If not, would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, Wacom Device Model / Driver version, and a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anubhav Majumder The problem has not been fixed. This problem occured on a Macbook Pro from 2019, and is also happening on a brand new 2023 Macbook M2 Pro. I'm using InDesign 2023 18.5, and Illustrator 2023 27.9. Updating to the latest for both applications has not helped or changed anything. I'm using a Wacom Intuos Pro PTH 660. The problem also happens with a mouse, so it's an Adobe selection issue, not specific to the Wacom product as I intially thought. Wacom ran diagnostics on the Tablet over the phone and the Tablet is working as it should be. Here is what happens in both programs: InDesign/Illustrator: When trying to select any artwork or text box, the art or text immediately shifts the tiniest amount, which must be undone as you work again and again all day long! When trying to select a color swatch, nothing happens, you have to keep selecting the swatch until it finally recoginizes you have selected it. It occasionally has trouble selecting a new font from the list as well. It's as if you are not clicking anything. Please help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer - it is a statement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. MacBook Pro 2021, Adobe Illustrator 2024. I tried also to reinstall this version and install older, but in older versions - the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nadiia338284391ofj  schrieb:

Hi, I have the same problem. MacBook Pro 2021, Adobe Illustrator 2024. I tried also to reinstall this version and install older, but in older versions - the same problem.

Which system are you using? The current Wacom driver has some issues with current Illustrator versions and it might also have some general issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOs 13.5.2. 
And this problem is not only when I use my wacom, but also when I use touch pad on my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I tried to reinstall current version of Illustrator, install more old, but it's the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I have also problem with Direct Selection Tool. It doesn't select points to work with, but moves the object generally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hve the same computer, but with Monterey. Illustrator doesn't do that.

Maybe you could reset the Illustrator preferences (this will erase your settings)? But perhaps it is the existence of the Wacom driver that does this. If resetting the preferences does not help, you can also contact Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html They can login to your system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For EVERYONE here having this problem, it completely stopped happening after I upgraded to Ventura 13.6.3 on my MAC. Never happened again. Try updating your OS is it's still happening to you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a fix for Sonoma 14.3? I can't work with this error!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Juan357655019ur7,

I understand how frustrating it can be when you encounter issues with selecting objects in Illustrator, especially when using a Wacom pen. To assist you further, could you please provide the following information:

1. What is the model number and specification of your Wacom device?
  2. What version of Illustrator are you using?
  3. Are you experiencing this issue consistently, or does it occur sporadically?
  4. Have you recently installed any third-party applications or plugins that might be interfering with Illustrator's functionality?
  5. Do you have any window management apps (such as Magnet, BetterSnapTool, Rectangle, etc.) installed on your Mac? If so, try closing them and see if the issue persists.

Once I have this information, I'll be better able to assist you in finding a solution to the problem. Thank you!

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same for me. I use Sonoma 14.4 & have the newest version of Illustrator. It happens with trackpad and mouse too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that upgrading Rectangle Pro to the newest version solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this an answer to the wacom issue? And this cost money so not sure it makes sense. I will have to look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gigabot  schrieb:

How is this an answer to the wacom issue? And this cost money so not sure it makes sense. I will have to look

Do you have that app?

Or Magnet?

Those two are known to interfere with selection in Illustrator. Indepent from a Wacom, BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines