Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects turned into a clip group

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created three files a few months ago that are saved on a server. Now when I open them to make some edits, I noticed that all the objects in the file are in a clip group (see image) and it's very frustrating and time consuming to edit. Where did this clip group come from and how can I undo this? This has happened to all three files I created at that time, not to any other Illy files I have on the server. Appreciate any help!

JPU20_0-1593431330447.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

In that case the files are unfortunately ruined.

You can now only release all those clipping masks and instruct your coworker to not do this again. Ever.

When opening a file with a lower version, Illustrator will issue a warning. This warning should never be disabled and of course the file not be saved (overwriting the original one).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you saved an AI file? And you opened it with the same Illustrator version (or higher)?

In that case it looks as though your file has gone corrupt and you opened the PDF part of the file.

There is a slight chance that it happened while opening the file (and not while saving). You can try and first download it from the server to your local disk and then open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. AI files,  and yes I opened them in the same Illustrator version. It´s possible a collaborator opened the files using a different version of Illustrator, a trial version possibly.

I tried as you suggested but it didn´t work unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case the files are unfortunately ruined.

You can now only release all those clipping masks and instruct your coworker to not do this again. Ever.

When opening a file with a lower version, Illustrator will issue a warning. This warning should never be disabled and of course the file not be saved (overwriting the original one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines