• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Offset feature distorts a part of the shape

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The offset option creates this weird shape at the top of my path. Please bear in mind that:
1) I've increased the miter limit up to random numbers like 500 to make it work.
2) No, there's no extra anchor at the top, only 3 per side:

offset.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Are you sure a miter is what you want? I don't think you want an unmodified offset path because it would at best look something like this:Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 22.59.08.png

I tried to upload an ai file but seems it does not work, why I wanted to give you an ai is that Illustrator allows to use your original as a guide.

I couldn't stop without showing how I would solve such a situation.

First mae a copy of your shape and made it to a guide, so I could make sure I was true to your original.

I deledet the side points on the top

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all just math and based on the tangent directions it pretty much appears correct within reason. The algorithm employed by AI simply has no provision to consolidate backward loops.. You have to fix it manually.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piter,

Maybe far too far out, but what happens if you Ctrl/Cmd+E?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

In my case Ctrl+E changes the view from Preview to GPU Preview. Unfortunately, nothing changes doing that. Is there something else I should look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you also please show the handles? I am trying to recreate your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas,

Below is the image and I've attached the original cross in svg format for you to try on your end. The offset size is 15 px.

Handles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very sharp point. With those vertical handles Illustrator it's close to impossible to offset the path. Illustrator can just do math, there is no optimization functionality built into the offset function. So you will have to either change those handles or build the joint on the offset path manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry did not see the svg first only the screen shot. As Monica implies it is teh rules of mathematics that cause your problems. Offset path is calculated perpendicular to the stroke and as you are coming to a tangent the miter would need to be infinity (because parallel lines never meet) if you round the point or make it so that it is not infinite you will get a correct path. Offset with round will work but never with miter at this angle, you must round the angle or make the handles meet as a v-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure a miter is what you want? I don't think you want an unmodified offset path because it would at best look something like this:Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 22.59.08.png

I tried to upload an ai file but seems it does not work, why I wanted to give you an ai is that Illustrator allows to use your original as a guide.

I couldn't stop without showing how I would solve such a situation.

First mae a copy of your shape and made it to a guide, so I could make sure I was true to your original.

I deledet the side points on the top part of the cross and modified the curves to simplify it even further.

Next I offset the path getting a similar result to the image you first got.

I removed the top segment.

Aligned the top points of the ofset path to centre of selection and joined them.

I moved the top point of the offset path uppward and then adjusted the path so that it had the same flow as the inner shape.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 20.18.28.png

It is not quite parallel and not a true offset path but I imagine this is what you were aiming for.
Hope your project works out 🙂
Here is an svg of my result (did not manage to get ai file to work correct)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much Lukas, this is definitely the best approach and I will use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines