Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Offset

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am very new with the illustrator. How can I offset those puzzle pieces outside by 1mm? Tried to do Object -> Path -> Offset path. Doesn't work and I get the result that is like on the 2nd piece. (Look the attachment). I would like all the corners and everything to stay as sharp and pointy as they are now. 

I think there is a quick answer to my problem 🙂 

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

As Larry is suggesting, not all of your paths are closed paths (the corners are not connected). You can find the corners that are NOT connected by making the Stroke a lot thicker temporarily. Corners that are not pointed and look like they have a bite taken out of them are not continuous paths. Click and drag across each of those corners separately with your Direct Selection tool (A). Then go to Object > Path > Join. (This could take some time but you will have usable closed objects.)

After you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your pieces closed paths?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Larry is suggesting, not all of your paths are closed paths (the corners are not connected). You can find the corners that are NOT connected by making the Stroke a lot thicker temporarily. Corners that are not pointed and look like they have a bite taken out of them are not continuous paths. Click and drag across each of those corners separately with your Direct Selection tool (A). Then go to Object > Path > Join. (This could take some time but you will have usable closed objects.)

After you fix the corners, the best way to accomplish what you want is in the Appearance panel using Effects.

Offset Path is a good approach, but using it in the Appeance panel allows you to fix what is NOT currently working for you. The Offset Path feature offsets the path both inside and outside the shape at the same time. So you need to cover the "inside" offset. You need to have a Fill of any color that is also Offset by the same amount as your Stroke. The trick is the Appearance panel allows you to drag your Fill listing on top of your Stroke to cover the inside offset Stroke.

See attached screenshot of the Appearance panel.

You will have to increase the Weight of your Stroke because the Fill on top will be covering half the thickness.

Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.47.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines