Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opacity Artwork Transfer Issues

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

When copying artwork from one art board to the other, is there a way of maintaing the Opacity Value on specific sections. 

If I move an object that was at 70% opacity, it then goes up to 100% when transferred to the new art board. 

When I then change it back to 70, it doesn't have the same effect as previous and seems to alter some of the other layers. 

thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, as per your description it is rather difficult to understand what issue there may be.

Can you share a sample Illustrator file including some instructions that may help to grasp the situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

I've posted a video below 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really mean artboard, or do you mean another document? If you have an existing doc with named elements (swatches, tints, gradients, styles etc) the new art will take on those attributes.

If you do mean artboard how are you "transferring" the art?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the Layers panel and the Appearance panel with the object you want to copy selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

I've posted a video below 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hope this clears it up. When I move it over the Opacity changes to 100% and when I lower it back down to 70% it doesn't reveal the inside of the Vehicle even though that layer is still active and behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not clear what you are moving, I do not see an opacity percentage or setting for the window.

It may be useful to show the Appearance panel with the problem object selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're moving cmyk art into an rgb doc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're moving cmyk art into an rgb doc...

By @Met1

The video does show pretty clearly that the progression is from a cmyk file to an rgb file, but I'm not convinced that's the problem. When I try to reproduce here, dragging an object to another tab doesn't move or copy the object; it only switches my view to the tab to which I dragged (and the dragged object does not 'land' in the target document). Now, admittedly, I hate drag-and-drop and never use it for anything, so there could certainly be something drag-and-droppers know that I don't know about how to work that.

So, like I normally would, rather than dragging, I copied an object (set at 70% opacity) from a cmyk document and pasted it into an rgb document and it retained the 70% opacity. So Jacob, what happens if you just copy and paste that object without dragging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a complex artwork.

What else is applied besides opacity reduction?

Blend modes? Some blend modes work very differently in RGB and CMYK.

Is there something applied to the layer? Knockout groups perhaps?

Also: could this be an issue with your graphic card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone. I've tried going through the Appearance Panel and managed to lower the opacity on the Window Layer to reveal the inside of the car. 

Unfortunatley, now this has created some strange lines throughout the Illusttrations. Does anyone know why this is happening? 

Thanks again for all your help. I've attached a video below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand what you are doing there or what you actually want to achieve. And still it's also unclear how exactly stuff is set up. That video doesn't help at all with all the questions people had.

The Illustrator file would help. Also it would need a clear description of what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While the videos illustrate your reasons for posting here, they don't expressly provide anything that might help fill in the unknowns about what you're doing. It's not really clear why or how you're attempting to compose a second copy of the graphic by dragging elements around. Did you build this file from scratch or is it someone else's construct? As Monika alluded, truly figuring out what's going on there may require access to a copy of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's test this.

Do a save_as to your original cmyk doc, delete everything from it, convert to rgb, do a save.

Now drag your art from the cmyk doc into your new rgb doc...

If your art stays the same, there is something (element style) in your original rgb doc with the same name that is set up with different specs - find it, problem solved.

If your art changes, then the reason is rgb interprets something in your art differently than cmyk - find another way to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines