• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Freehand files with Illustrator CS6

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back this ability. It worked in CS 5.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

You can now load FreeHand files in CS6, CC and 2014 using the FreeHand Interface Plugin:

Tensai AI Plugins

You do need access to a FreeHand Import plugin from CS3-CS5. We are trying to get Adobe to make the CS5 plugin available as a free download.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here! I agree...I work primarily in CS6, but with tons of old FreeHand files, it is hard to convert everything right now when I am working on other newer projects. AND there are a few features of the old FreeHand that are extremely valuable that Illustrator STILL doesn't have, like Find and Replace Objects. I have to go to a 3rd party script to do that, and we all know how Adobe LOVES 3rd party script work nowadays...please update to allow for opening FH files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. - Also: I can't see an advantage for Adobe to quit this ability to open .fh files. Plenty of maps, illustrations etc. get lost and will barely become re-created in Illustrator.

- thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

If you don’t want to bloat AI, that’s understandable, but then at least please create some droplet/script or the like that does the job of converting *.fh files to *.ai.

Thanks in advance, Tom in Germany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! We haven't updated to 6 yet but being able to open Freehand files is essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, we have downgraded to cs5 on Snow Leo after weeks of frustration.

If i could, i would take my money back.

5workstations upgrade costs are blown in the wind.

i dont think adobe will ever  implement the good old features from freehand...

like working with text on path... the best feature in FH i think..

So what have we now... an unfinished feature, where u have to be a lucky one, your

text will positioned correct on a circle..

This feature in Illu is just crap... cant say any good word about it.

hope this will be fixed in future..

maybe......hope dies last

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe underestimates the value of Freehand and refuses to accept it. I would rather prefer them to focus on the daily use and time-saving features instead of the fancy ones that most designers barely need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also an (ex-) FreeHand user with lots of files I need to open from time to time.

I need this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d like to add my voice to this chorus, having just discovered that my archives of Freehand files are no longer accessible without major hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into a client whose printshop is still on CS4, and has a G5 able to run FH to convert from FH8 (in a barely-running Classic mode) to FH10, which they then port over to a machine running Illy CS4 to open. Usually that works, with odd size and gradient issues, but useable.

They are a small shop, completely overwhelmed as most printshops are but have NO time to pre-convert FH artwork which clients may or may NOT ever need again. Tens of thousands of files.

Is there ANY way to script the conversion of these FH10+ files with Illy while they still run CS4 on older hardware? I'd hate to have their machines die and have to put them on a new Mac with no way to run FH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The return of this feature is valueable to me.

I have decades of Freehand files that need this convenience.

Ifnot I'll need to intall CS 5  to get this finctionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word from Adobe here!?? Please HELP all of us ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should have been

Freehand CC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it must insult them that they still are not as good as the old FH!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah! now that is a splash screen I like...brilliant

Alistair, mind if I share it with the FreeHand community?

FreeHand Forum on Twitter

FreeHand Forum •

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, go ahead, I made it for a laugh as long as other people can have a laugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iam uninstalling my Illustrator from my Creative Cloud. And reinstalling my Cs5 Illustrator from my original disc. I do not design in Illustrator because I cannot see myself abandoning Freehand. I mainly use Illustrator to open my finished work in Freehand in order to make PDF's for print production. I also use it to copy and past my vectors that I need to take to Photo Shop. Adobe, I beg you, Bring Back Freehand and add it to Creative Cloud, like you did with Flash, & Fireworks. Please don't be so mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen to this Bro!!! Adobe, please, don't you know the old cliche... the customer is always right????? Listen to us please, we know you are a monopoly, but still, please treat us right????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can now load FreeHand files in CS6, CC and 2014 using the FreeHand Interface Plugin:

Tensai AI Plugins

You do need access to a FreeHand Import plugin from CS3-CS5. We are trying to get Adobe to make the CS5 plugin available as a free download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new plugin is advertised to work from Illustrator CC now.

I haven't downloaded it yet - been booting to a cloned drive with snow leopard for my Freehand fix. (Which is STILL more elegant to use than Illustrator. . . do they work on this program at all anymore? )

Tensai AI Plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would Adobe pay the Dutch government to convert all the FH-archives to AI?

Or is someone working on a work around/solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only started using Illustrator when it got the ability to open Freehand files, because of the huge amout of these I have in backup.

I did not waste my precious time converting them all to .ai, because I have better things to occupy myself with. So why the hell would this feature be removed in CS6? Did it occupy a precious 1MB of space, that did not fit in the DVD???

I would urge Adobe to stop alienating its clients, and stop trying to force them to do what they want, instead of giving its clients what they need.

In the ever changing landscape of software, one of these days a new product will arrive, and  even if it's not necessarily better than adobe programs, if they treat their users better, then people will prefer them.

A good example of this is the 3D animation program Blender, which year by year is gaining more and more users, in favor of big companies like Maya, 3DStudio Max or Softimage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to open old Freehand files in CS6?  we used to be able to take Freehand 8 files, change/add a .eps extension to them, and they'd open in CS4, but CS6 isn't so kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used FreeHand for years and was very happy with it.

My old Macs now dead or missing, I switched to Illustrator and, like all of you, need to open old files rather often.

I would like to see this feature be reinstated in Illustrator CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. This is an unbelivably arrogant act from Adobe... Not impressed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - just a pack of ignorant dicks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines