Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a pdf in AI without outlining the texts

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a multiple pages pdf file that i want to open in AI so i can edit texts.

The problem is that when i open the pdf in AI, all fonts are automatically outlined. I do have the font type on my system but it doesn't prevent Ai from outlining all fonts.

Is there a way to "tell" AI not to outline fonts when opening the pdf?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Do you have Acrobat?

The correct way to edit is in the source document. Second best is in Acrobat—either Pro or Standard.

Illustratror was not designed to be a PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taron46  schrieb

Is there a way to "tell" AI not to outline fonts when opening the pdf?

No.

Fonts get outlined e.g. when there have been ligatures applied in the text.

But there might be other reasons.

Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor. Get the original source file and edit in the original application that created the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
If i had the original source file i wouldn't have asked the question. 🙂

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat?

The correct way to edit is in the source document. Second best is in Acrobat—either Pro or Standard.

Illustratror was not designed to be a PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the document in Acrobat Pro DC. Here's a video about the editing features in Acrobat: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2015/08/edit-pdfs-like-never-before-in-acrobat-dc/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it is somewhat less lame than it was.

It sure doesn't like small inline graphics.

Bleagh. No good choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaym85408297  schrieb

It sure doesn't like small inline graphics.

Just like Illustrator.

The only good choice is to get the source document and edit that. And if there are inline graphics in text, then most probably the source document is an InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (and other replies on this thread) might not be useful to some people. I often get given PDF's by clients of crude graphics they have created in other programmes like Powerpoint etc. I use those to make better graphics in Illustrator. If I could import these PDF's with editable text it would save me hours of work copying and pasting from Acrobat. It's kinda stupid if Illustrator can only import outlined text! And I certainly don't want to use Powerpoint or Word or whatever my clients use to work on the graphics. That's why I have Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask them to give you the text as a tet file.

This happens not when importing, but when creating the PDF.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-ten-commandments-of-pdf.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I really hate is when a program presumes it knows what's best for me and limits functionality accordingly. I read the sacrosanct 10 commandments of PDF regarding Illustrator importing and I'm still not convinced... at least give the user the choice and let me them with the associated risk regarding colour spaces, unsupported objects, ligatures etc. As for "this happens not when importing, but when creating the PDF", how can this be true if Acrobat recognises the text and allows me to highlight, copy, paste, edit etc and illustrator doesn't. Text in not some sort of unredable fancy PDF object, it's the absolute most basic thing a PDF can contain besides perhaps a rectangle. And what's the point of having an optional "Convert all text to outlines" checkbox in the Flatten Transparency dialog box, if it ignores this and imports as shapes anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to report this to whoever is responsible for PDF.

Illustrator does import whatever it can read from a PDF. But since PDF is not a native file format, often Illustrator cannot read everything.

The thing is: PDF was never meant for exchange. It's a presentation (and output) format. It was meant to show any document from any application exactly in the way the creator designed it. Also because of font licensing, the font foundries insisted to bake fonts into the PDF so that they cannot be extracted. So the way a PDF behaves, has reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.
Here is a crappy workaround for you.
Select some text in Acrobat and R-clk/Edit text.
Click outsode the text frame you were in and Ctrl-A to select all.
Now change the font, from and then back to the original.
Save this PDF as a copy and open in Illustrator.
You should have the text all in there without outlines now although some formatting may be lost. This is a per page solution so still fairly arduous for a long document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is the solution that really worked for me.  I was trying to get a set of graphs exported from PowerBI (I had tried everything I could to get my client's preferred font to get added to PowerBI's very limited font palette, including editing the *.json code, no joy), and opening the pdf in illustrator outlined all the text.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant. Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines