• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a PDF is blank in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open the PDF in Acrobat. I get a preview in my explorer window.

But when I try to open in Illustrator, the Open PDF dialog shows blank thumbnails and the file is blank.

Using Windows 10 and Illustrator 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

I think I've figured it out. The PDFs actually originated from Bluebeam Revu. I guess the annotations caused problems for Illustrator's interpreter.

Thanks all. Mystery solved

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it didn't originate in Illustrator, there is no guarantee Illustrator can or will interpret its contents. Illustrator is not a PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Acrobat export something that Illustrator can open? I've never had a PDF open in Acrobat that couldn't be opened in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was exported from Word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create a new Illustrator file and then File > Place the PDF. Don't embed. Instead Object > Flatten transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've figured it out. The PDFs actually originated from Bluebeam Revu. I guess the annotations caused problems for Illustrator's interpreter.

Thanks all. Mystery solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you figure it out? I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ignore me, figured it out with some trial and error - all the text and graphics were generated from comments somehow, so I exported as an EPS and made sure 'Include comments' was enabled and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHich application created the PDF and what's in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did you find a way to get these vectors/graphics to show up in illustrator? I'm having the same issue with .PDF's coming out of bluebeam - I ultimately need to get them into a CAD program but have been trying to use Adobe as a go between. Did anything work for these files for you? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines