• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimize object cutline sequence

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example. I have a large file with many haotic small objects that i must cut out of a decorative window film/vinyl. (image example below)

As i draw these artworks i cant control sequence in which illustrator puts objects one after another. So when i cut it, for example, it cuts one object at the top of the file then plotter scrolls whole 2 meter sheet to the bottom and cuts once object there, then goes back to top and so on.

I heard there is external program in which you load in eps file, that arranges all the objects in "snake like" sequence. So it cuts next closest object and it does whole file a lot faster since head makes less movements when not cutting.

Hope you understood ))

Example of my nightmare, i have like 200m2 to cut and then prepare for applying on glass.

paraugs.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plotter driver doesn't optimize this?

I would first check its documentation for that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up a simple test file with just a few paths in it to determine if your vinyl cutter is cutting paths in the order of their Z stacking order in the file. If you find that it is, then you can just marquee select  a horizontal band of paths across the top of the page and Bring To Front. Then select another band just below the first one and Bring To Front, etc., all the way down the page.

The cutter head will still likely track left and right, but it won't be scrolling the vinyl up and down for long stretches.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause

I have Roland vs640i, it comes with VersaWorks RIP&Print software, but it doesnt dictate cutting order. Cutting order is set by illustrator. It is the order you add/draw "new objects", effects doesnt apply to this. If i dont draw one next to another i wont get that order right. No, it doesnt.

JETalmage

I explained what dictates order. It is not about front or back. To make your idea work, i must make new file and copy "horizontal bands" and paste into new file to dictate new order.

This is not a solution its to time consuming. I have 200m2 of this.

Thanks for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

might this script by qwertyfly or similar help?

Optimize objects stacking order for vinyl cutting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive read this post. Totally different situation. And manually putting together each object by one is even slower than what JETalmage suggested.

I dont draw each of that circle by hand. They are made out of a different drawing and are made with some effects applyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to search for plugins.

Maybe this one can help?

eCut Adobe Illustrator plugins: nesting, plotting, cnc - Main

Maybe also ask that company for the function?

Maybe visit some specialized plotter and large format printing forums and ask there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those plugins are like my RIP sowftware, thats not it.

I am totally sure that such software exists. Because i have one guy who was working same as me, but he retired. And i made sure that i wasnt mistaken of what he told.

Ill try to figure it out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I have the same issue and I have never found solution for it. I am wondering if you were able to figure this out? I use adobe illustrator and roland cut studio with a roland gx-24 vinyl plotter.

It's so annoying that none of the software invovled in this didn't implement a feature that allows you to optimize the cutting sequence. A pretty glaring absence IMO.

We're you able to figure out a way to do this? Would love to hear about it if so. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exactly the same issue.  Illustrator CC, Roland SG-540 Versaworks 6.
I also have Flexi  I use to run a 30" cutter/plotter.
Flexi has a feature that does exactly what we all want...to maximize the cutter efficiency.  It works very good.
A friend showed me how to use Flexi to create files to print and cut in Versaworks but I have not been able to dublicate the feat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines