Outline mode doesn't work

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 8 days ago I can't work on outline mode because when I change to this mode pressing Ctrl+Y or clicking on View>Outline the image gets frozen and remains frozen until I return to "normal mode view" (GPU Preview). Photoshop and Indesign work fine.

I have formatted my computer and reinstalled everything before I contact Adobe Support Chat. I was been helped by Jhonny but we lost connection after he restarted my computer in safe mode (via remote control). He tried with:

Deleting %Appdata%

Checking GPU drivers (Up to date)

Creating a new user with administrator privileges

Re-installing illustrator

We spent more than 2 hours and nothing. Please help me with this because It is so annoying and I Outline view mode is pretty important to work on illustrator.

I can provide my case number if need it.

UPDATE:

We have confirmation from NVidia that this issue is fixed in GeForce series driver version 388.31 released on 15-Nov-2017. Fix for Quadro series driver will be available in next NVIDIA Quadro driver posting. We do not know release date for Quadro driver, will let you know once the driver with fix is released.. Thank you NVIDIA

We have some good news and progress to share. NVIDIA has been able to reproduce and fix the issue. They are currently working on a fix to be available in the next NVIDIA driver posting. We do not yet know the date of when the driver will be available but will let you know when it is.

Please vote on the issue here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/31557382-outline-preview-bug We will keep you posted on the UserVoice about the progress.

Thank you NVIDIA

Some technical details: The only affected systems are MSHybrid + Windows 10. MSHybrid is short for essentially, a system that houses both discrete GPU and Integrated GPU.

Meanwhile, additional keystrokes can help you.

Keyboard shortcuts – CTRL+E toggles GPU and CPU mode – CTRL+Y toggles between outline preview mode and the last preview mode (GPU/CPU)

WORKAROUND

1. if you have to move to outline mode press CTRL+E before to get into CPU mode and then press CTRL+Y

2. If you have to come out of outline mode press CTRL+Y you will come back to CPU preview mode as that was the last used mode in step 1.

3. Now press CTRL+E again to get back to GPU mode

4. repeat steps 1-3 each time you have to go to outline preview mode.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Outline mode doesn't work

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 8 days ago I can't work on outline mode because when I change to this mode pressing Ctrl+Y or clicking on View>Outline the image gets frozen and remains frozen until I return to "normal mode view" (GPU Preview). Photoshop and Indesign work fine.

I have formatted my computer and reinstalled everything before I contact Adobe Support Chat. I was been helped by Jhonny but we lost connection after he restarted my computer in safe mode (via remote control). He tried with:

Deleting %Appdata%

Checking GPU drivers (Up to date)

Creating a new user with administrator privileges

Re-installing illustrator

We spent more than 2 hours and nothing. Please help me with this because It is so annoying and I Outline view mode is pretty important to work on illustrator.

I can provide my case number if need it.

UPDATE:

We have confirmation from NVidia that this issue is fixed in GeForce series driver version 388.31 released on 15-Nov-2017. Fix for Quadro series driver will be available in next NVIDIA Quadro driver posting. We do not know release date for Quadro driver, will let you know once the driver with fix is released.. Thank you NVIDIA

We have some good news and progress to share. NVIDIA has been able to reproduce and fix the issue. They are currently working on a fix to be available in the next NVIDIA driver posting. We do not yet know the date of when the driver will be available but will let you know when it is.

Please vote on the issue here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/31557382-outline-preview-bug We will keep you posted on the UserVoice about the progress.

Thank you NVIDIA

Some technical details: The only affected systems are MSHybrid + Windows 10. MSHybrid is short for essentially, a system that houses both discrete GPU and Integrated GPU.

Meanwhile, additional keystrokes can help you.

Keyboard shortcuts – CTRL+E toggles GPU and CPU mode – CTRL+Y toggles between outline preview mode and the last preview mode (GPU/CPU)

WORKAROUND

1. if you have to move to outline mode press CTRL+E before to get into CPU mode and then press CTRL+Y

2. If you have to come out of outline mode press CTRL+Y you will come back to CPU preview mode as that was the last used mode in step 1.

3. Now press CTRL+E again to get back to GPU mode

4. repeat steps 1-3 each time you have to go to outline preview mode.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 26, 2017 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum is not connected to the chat support.

There's not so much left to try unfortunately.

Can you post which system exactly this is and which graphic card?

I suppose this happens with any file?

Or just old ones?

Anything these files have in common?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What happens when you go into Outline mode for one (or more) layers? Cmd (or Ctrl ) click the eyeball.

2. Have you reset preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since a week ago I think, I Tried uninstalling and re-installing but nothing changed.

Outline mode doesn't work ,, I can draw while in outline mode but I can't see any thing,, see it only when I go back to GPU preview..
It is very frustrating.

GPU: Nividia GTX 960m

Illustartor 21.1.0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2017 2
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, GTX 960M, W10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem after nvidia's previous update..
Fixed it by switching illustrator to the built in GPU (Intel's GPU) and it worked perfectly.
You should try it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2017 3
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too, but it kinda works with minor glitches when you switch to the built in GPU. But not at full power like the dedicated GPU.

I.m cool with this switch, nothing to complain.

Its a driver issue so i'm waiting for a better driver update for the Nvidia GPU to have this issue solved.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this solution. I couldn't get into outline mode at all, despite my page tittle saying I was in outline mode.

For anyone else struggling and looking for a quick fix. Open AI, got Edit>Preferences>Performance... then Untick the GPU Performance checkbox. Now open yout file and try with CTRL+Y and there you have it. Outline mode should be working. At least it did for me after several frustrating days looking for an answer. Many thanks to Naslan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man, same issue here. Are you able to go to Pixel Preview and Overprint mode? I can't even go to those modes.

Did rolling back the Nvidia driver helped?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new laptop w nvidia GeForce gtx 1060 and same problem, will not toggle to outline mode.  think it's a video drivers issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yap, its a driver issue. Go to nvidia control panel and set the integrated video card instead of the dedicated one for Adobe illustrator. Restart the Illustrator and the outline mode will work.

Hope this helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2017 4
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this effect Illustrator's performance?

My operating system is Windows 10 64-bit and my GPU is a NVIDEO GeForce GTX 1050. The version of Illustrator I'm running is Adobe Illustrator CC 2017.1.0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, this restores the preview mode(s) toggle.  hopefully a new working driver will come out so we can take full advantage of the videocard vs the intergrated/ onboard video option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this really works for me, thank you so much! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2020 0
Resources