• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outline Stroke does not seem to do anything

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I followed instructions given on tutorials and in previous posts to change the stroke (which is the needle image) into an outlined shape that I could fill with a gradient, but as you can see from the screenshot, it looks exactly the same before as after I apply the fx. I expected the outer edge to become a path/outlined, but it still appears to have the line in the centre of the stroke and act like a stroke, I cannot select the outer edge. I tried both using the menu at the top in object>path>outlinestroke and also using the properties panel on the right under additional options... >fx.  I am using Windows 10 and dowloaded AI just this week. 

Also, I did try converting the needle image (which is made of a stroke) to a fill, like, I remember doing on Flash years ago in order to achieve the same thing. But it filled the image including the eye of the needle so I gave up on that as I didn't know a way around that. 

Please can you help with either of these issues so I can proceed! Thank you very much

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the effect. It won't change the object, that is the whole point of an effect.

So if there is an effect applied, delete it from the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not sure I see how this answer is helping me with what I need to do... I can remove the outline stroke effect no problem and put it back on fine if I needed to.

I asked for help to do a task which is to outline a stroke and/or make it become a filled shape/object that I can fill and won't distort when I alter the scale. Please can you help with this? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Path > Outline stroke

will outline strokes.

If that doesn't work, please show a screenshot of the complete object plus the appearance panel plus the layers panel (search the object in the layer with the command in the layer panel menu)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try the suggestions shard on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines