Outline view crashes the GPU view - illustrator 2021 (25.1)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, community,

The title says it all, whenever I use the Outline preview (Ctrl+Y) my GPU acceleration bug, it becomes grey, so I cannot restart it. I have to close the document and re-open it. Needless to say, this is super annoying... This is happening on any files, from a simple shape to a more complex illustration.
Strangely enough, before using the Outline preview, I can switch the GPU on/off without problems.

Here is the configuration: Windows 10 Pro 64 2004 Build.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Ti Max Q 27.21.14.5256 (from the Lenovo website).
Intel UHD Graphics 27.20.100.8729.
Illustrator 25.1

All drivers are up to date, and I made sure Windows selected high performances for that software.

What is left for me?
Reinstall illustrator once again or reinstall all my graphic drivers?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... I found a workaround.

I downgraded Illustrator to 25.0.1 from 25.1, and the bug is gone.
Is there any other users (probably windows users) having a GPU preview bug with the 25.1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug indeed appeared in 25.1.

I am seeing similar on MacOS Catalina, only here the GPU preview stops working for no apparent reason soon after opening a file. It seems to be restricted to the specific open window. It can work in one open AI window and not work in another open window at the same time.

Also I've just found a PDF file for which GPU preview is greyed from the start.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Reio15B9 ,

So you are suffering from the same issue on your Mac... well that's annoying too... But yours seems way more unpredictable than mine.

Since downgrading to the 25.0.1 Illustrator has been really stable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downgraded as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with 25.1. My workflow relies heavily on switching back and forth between Outline and GPU. I was getting screen tearing and sluggish viewport before I realized the problem. Glad to hear rolling back fixed the problem for you. Thanks for the update!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem here. 

Windows 10 Pro

Ryzen 5 3350 PRO

GTX 1650 OC

16 Gb RAM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. This issue is being reviewed by the product team. You may upvote & add your comment on this Adobe Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-u...) and stay tuned for the updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Reio15B9 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the issue tracker for 25.1 is littered with GPU performance problems.

My colleague also reported that on a 2019 iMac (MacOS Catalina) with Radeon Pro graphics card GPU preview keeps disabling itself. Downgrading to 25.0 fixed the issue for her.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines