Highlighted

Ovals on hover over objects

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used to use Illustrator a few years ago. Just signed up again. I have a document that, when I mouse over the objects, I have many different shaped ovals that pop up. I think it might have something to do with the gradient fill used in some of my objects which were copied from a template that I purchased. However, can someone please guide me to where I can find out what these are and how to turn them off? They're making it difficult for me to select and edit the shapes of my objects. As I mouse over the document, there are hundreds of these that pop-up.

Thanks.

SonomaKat_0-1594504244887.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Those are caused by Smart Guides. Can be turned off in the View menu. But those fills look strange as well - are they clipping masks? Can you show the layers panel?

Topics

Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Ovals on hover over objects

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used to use Illustrator a few years ago. Just signed up again. I have a document that, when I mouse over the objects, I have many different shaped ovals that pop up. I think it might have something to do with the gradient fill used in some of my objects which were copied from a template that I purchased. However, can someone please guide me to where I can find out what these are and how to turn them off? They're making it difficult for me to select and edit the shapes of my objects. As I mouse over the document, there are hundreds of these that pop-up.

Thanks.

SonomaKat_0-1594504244887.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Those are caused by Smart Guides. Can be turned off in the View menu. But those fills look strange as well - are they clipping masks? Can you show the layers panel?

Topics

Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's something strange going on. As background: I purchased a logo template that was an .eps file. At the time, I did not have access to Adobe. So I edited it in CorelDraw, and created the stick figures to match by copying the elements from the logo. Then exported to .eps and opened in Illustrator. It appears that the fill in some of the gradient shapes consists of a bunch of individual pieces. There are hundreds of layers to these pieces. I'm wondering if it can be fixed by opening in CorelDraw again, editing the fill to a gradient, and then exporting again. Any thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SonomaKat_1-1594668813108.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be an expanded blend or gradient.

Try opening the original eps in Illustrator, but it could be that the expansion already happened when saving as eps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most probably it was an EPS 10. Could have been edited in Illustrator 10 and above, but once you opened it in CorelDRAW, the editable part of the file is gone. There is nothing to repair now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines