Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlapping path order

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

New to Illustrator (but a veteran of Photoshop, so it's not completely alien).

I've been tasked with recreating a school logo that appears to have been originally hand drawn and not really suitable for modern purposes. Here's the main element of the original.

Rope.jpg

To replicate this rope I created a path that followed the original and then stroked it with a rope brush. So far so good. Here's the result.

New Crossways Logo.jpg

The issue is that if you follow the rope from left to right, at the bottom it crosses over the top instead of passing underneath like it does in the original. The two other crossovers are both correct so simply flipping the image would result in the other two being wrong.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this? In Photoshop I'd probably just cut another part of the rope and then paste it over the top and manipulate it until it matched, but I'd like to be able to keep this in a vector format as much as possible and not resort to that kind of pixel based trickery.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Try Object > Path > Reverse Path Direction.

It's makes it as if you drew the path in the opposite direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

You may try to expand the brush with Object > Expand Appearance and use the Shape Builder tool to merge the rope pieces.

rope.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

In looking at this again, my suggested fix messes up the other overlaps.

1. What you may need to do is to copy this rope pretzel shape and then Paste in Front (Edit > Paste in Front) of the original.
  2. With this top rope still selected, reverse the direction as I suggested in my previous post (Object > Path > Reverse Path Direction).
  3. Draw a circle around the intersection of rope you wish to change.
  4. Select the top rope and the circle and go to Object > Cipping Mask

When I tried this it worked. But I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Expand the appearance of the path with a rope brush applied, then ungroup the result. Select a sufficient number of brush segments (the way this brush was built, two) and Object menu > Arrange > Bring to Front, or Send to Back if you selected segments in the upper portion of the rope.

Peter

tromboniator_1-1602733681760.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Can you perhaps share a sample .ai file, so one may have a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Object > Path > Reverse Path Direction.

It's makes it as if you drew the path in the opposite direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In looking at this again, my suggested fix messes up the other overlaps.

1. What you may need to do is to copy this rope pretzel shape and then Paste in Front (Edit > Paste in Front) of the original.
  2. With this top rope still selected, reverse the direction as I suggested in my previous post (Object > Path > Reverse Path Direction).
  3. Draw a circle around the intersection of rope you wish to change.
  4. Select the top rope and the circle and go to Object > Cipping Mask

When I tried this it worked. But I'm not sure if the rope will line up right when you try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may try to expand the brush with Object > Expand Appearance and use the Shape Builder tool to merge the rope pieces.

rope.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

@prw71: If you need to see how the Shape Build Works, here's a old video: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2011/12/geared-up-for-shape-builder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I'll give them a go later when I get chance and let you know how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the appearance of the path with a rope brush applied, then ungroup the result. Select a sufficient number of brush segments (the way this brush was built, two) and Object menu > Arrange > Bring to Front, or Send to Back if you selected segments in the upper portion of the rope.

Peter

tromboniator_1-1602733681760.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is actually much easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A great solution, Peter; and proof that Illy has also known the ropes all along (and still knows her way round).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply cut the path with scissor tool and moved to the top in the layer panel.

It's still a stroke with the rope pattern brush applied.

K

Scissor cut.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's another simple solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, this forum is giving me fits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines