• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

password protect when creating pdf from illustrator

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Illustrator upgrade I apply a password protect to my pdf and save.I have to keep reappling every time a do a save. Never had to do this before and other people in my department don't have to. They save the file the 1st time and any changes/saves they do after the password stays. Is there a setting I am missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just leave out the password. It's of no use whatsoever.

Anyone who is able to do a Google search, can open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The door was locked...

locked.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The security holes in PDF encryption are a good reason to "trash" up any valuable artwork in a PDF sent to clients when bidding a job you think the client might be shopping around to other competitors. I deal with this a lot in sign design.

The scenario goes a little like this: the client first comes to us and has us do the mental heavy lifting to figure out just what he needs and has us put together a number of sketches (including numerous revisions) to work up a bid. Then that client goes shopping our sketches around to competitors to see if they can do the same thing for less money. It's already annoying enough the client is shopping our sketches around to competitors, whether they're in print or electronic form. But it can be even worse if a rival is going to grab vector-based elements out of a PDF and go straight into production with it.

The quickest, easiest thing to do is rasterize any valuable vector objects into pixel-based objects, and in low enough resolution that the customer can still see the graphics just fine but would require a competitor to do a lot of work trying to re-build the elements into vector form. Baking patterns, water marks, etc into the artwork can be an added middle finger to content theives. And then, just for the fun of it, password protect the edit level of the PDF anyway. That way when they employ the various work-arounds available to dodge the password they'll still end up very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do all that heavy lifting before you have a contract? Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sign industry is funny like that. We can (and do) bill for various line item things up front. For instance, if someone has a logo or other piece of art they want to use but it's only a low resolution pixel-based image we will charge a fee to convert it into clean vector-based artwork. Complicated layouts, such as a full or partial vehicle wrap require a design deposit up front. Plus additional design fees can be involved with the wrap design in progress. But when it comes to "traditional" signs (free-standing pylon signs, building mounted signs, etc) we're stuck having to do a lot of the design work up front in order to generate an accurate bid. Most of the time that works out fine (our hit to miss ratio on getting jobs is pretty good). But it is frustrating to occasionally lose out to people who under-bid the same job. If rivals are going to low-ball me, I'm going to give them as little as possible to work with in a PDF file originally meant for a client. That means ruining any valuable vectors in the artwork and perhaps even providing as few specifications as possible in the verbiage. That would force any rivals to start as close to square one as us. 

It's not all that difficult to convert key elements of a sign design into one or more resolution-limited pixel-based objects. The same goes for baking water marks or odd patterns into the artwork. It's just a few clicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have written a magazine article on how to make peoples' life worse with an AI file by building naughty trap doors into it.

Password protection is not a part of that process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines