• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste in place with multiple artboards hardly ever works. Why?

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I know there have been several discussions about this, but from what I can tell, there has never been a definitive solution to the age old Illustrator problem of why when you copy from one art board and paste into another, it hardly ever works. As a freelance designer I've worked at numerous design agencies and all the designers report the same problem. Why is it so random? I've tried many things over the years (and yes it has been going on for years) and it doesn't matter what you do, most of the time Illustrator refuses to paste into the art board you actually want to paste in to. Sometimes it the same artboard you've just copied from, sometimes it's a random art board you don't want to paste into, and sometimes it's just off all the art boards entirely. Adobe could you please test 'Command F' with multiple art board documents and see if you to experience the same problem. I will quite happily supply you with some of my own files for you to test  (I'm running the latest CC software on an iMac with the latest OS).

Kind regards,

Richard

PS And yes I've actively selected the right art board. Sometimes I even draw objects on the art board in order to show Illustrator that this is this artboard I want to paste into and still it refuses to get it right!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Hi there

I haven't heard from Adobe, but in the meantime I have sorted this problem.

I mentioned this problem to a designer at work and he said 'it's because you are drag highlighting the elements on the page without actually selecting the artboard'. Dumb founded I drag highlighted the elements I wanted to copy. Then holding down the shift key I clicked on the art board. I then copied the elements, clicked on the artboard I wanted to paste into and pressed 'Paste in place'. It worked!

So the moral

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Richard - 最高です!!!有難うございます!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

You are a godsend! Thanks so much for this solve, I have been batteling for years to get this right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tip changed my life, thank you richarddesignerUK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to try this SO BADLY this makes me insane all these years, but I can't for the life of me figure how what this means exactly, help someone! LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to achieve what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very annoying indeed. It seems to be related with copying elements from different layers, as it works when all elements are on the same layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later, still doesnt work.
Thats how Adobe operates. Every year they pack in more half-assed features that nobody asked for, but they neglect the ones that their own users constanylu ask for. It's who they are as a company. They are not working artists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you list in detail the steps you are taking and what doesn't work? I have no issues with pasting in place from one artboard to another/pasting to multiple artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines