Highlighted

Pasting chart from Excel into Illustrator uses wrong dashes

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying any chart from Excel to Illustrator, where the chart contains a dashed line does not respect dash spacing set in Excel, and always imports with fixed (and rather nonsensical) 1000px dash spacing (so typically no dashes are seen except the first one in almost any artwork).

This has been happening for a while, 1-2 years for sure, so it's not a new bug. It persists across Illustrator and Excel versions.

Current software versions:
Windows 10
Office 365 ProPlus Excel Version 1904
Illustrator 23.0.6 (64 bit)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Wow - the dashes even appear!

Since these details are treated so differently from application to another, I wouldn't expect this to work most of the time.

If you want to report this as a bug, please do so over there:  http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Topics

Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pasting chart from Excel into Illustrator uses wrong dashes

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying any chart from Excel to Illustrator, where the chart contains a dashed line does not respect dash spacing set in Excel, and always imports with fixed (and rather nonsensical) 1000px dash spacing (so typically no dashes are seen except the first one in almost any artwork).

This has been happening for a while, 1-2 years for sure, so it's not a new bug. It persists across Illustrator and Excel versions.

Current software versions:
Windows 10
Office 365 ProPlus Excel Version 1904
Illustrator 23.0.6 (64 bit)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Since these details are treated so differently from application to another, I wouldn't expect this to work most of the time.

If you want to report this as a bug, please do so over there:  http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Topics

Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe, I wasn't aware this was so unexpected. 🙂 You make a good point. But with both Excel and Illustrator taking a massive share of their respective markets, I'd expect that interface to work, even if I wouldn't expect it to work in general (as it does not, for example, with Inkscape, at least not directly in one step). Especially with Excel's representation of it being very stable over years.

Thank you for the link, I wasn't able to find it which is why I ended up here thinking it's the only place to report such things!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They both might be big.

The important question is: how large is the overlap? That is the amount of people that use both. And considering how designers usually talk about Office and particulrly Excel, I would doubt that this overlap even exists 😉

Of course I know that there's an overlap, but this would require quite some arrangements between both developer teams.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines