• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting from Word into Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen some posts around this topic but I have yet to solve my issue. When I copy text from Word and paste into Illustrator, the text looks corrupt in Outline mode. I can treat it as normal text in Preview but I fear that it wil not be print-friendly when the file is sent off.

Things that I have tried with no success:

1) Using TextEdit as an intermediate step as well as online notepads to see if pasting into those first would solve the problem.

2) Changing the font in Word prior to copying as well.

3) Pasting into InDesign to see if it handles the text correctly.

4) Exported the Word doc as a pdf

5) Exported as a plain text file

It seems like this became an issue earlier this year.  I'm at a loss. The attached photo is in outline mode. The text looks correct in preview mode.

TOPICS
Print and publish , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

I'm all good! Two things:

1) CPU preview did render the type perfectly....nice! FYI, it was several paragraphs in a text block where the top, say 25%, looked normal then looked like what I attached. Very odd.

2) I deleted my prefrences prior to seeing your suggestion and that seemed to work as well.

Thank y'all for the input! Time to get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying the Word text to a plain Notepad doc and then copying the Notepad text into Illustrator? How much text are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that plus emailing it to myself to see if it strip out any formatting issues which did nothing different. I'm thinking now that the problem is solely in Illustrator.

Unfortunately, it's a fair amount of copy so I don't want to re-type it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample Illustrator file (.ai) that may contain the issue?

By the way, does it perhaps look better if you switch to CPU preview in the View menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all good! Two things:

1) CPU preview did render the type perfectly....nice! FYI, it was several paragraphs in a text block where the top, say 25%, looked normal then looked like what I attached. Very odd.

2) I deleted my prefrences prior to seeing your suggestion and that seemed to work as well.

Thank y'all for the input! Time to get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick follow up as it popped up again. Turning off GPU performance did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, glad to hear that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines