• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path looks pixelated (like if it was an image)

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks!

The PDF provided by my client includes the icon below and as you can see it looks like if it was a poor quality image but it is actually a path that somehow got messed up and looks like an image. And no, the pixel preview view is not on.

The only thing I was able to find is to go to  Effects > Document Raster Effects Settings and change the resolution from 72 to 300 but it didn't work. I have used the Path > Simplify option but the result is so minimum that is not worh it.

icon.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does View > View using CPU make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, no it doesn't. I also tried that and forgot to mention it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the icon was imported into Illustrator or InDesign or whichever application that the PDF was created from, it is possible that the link to the icon was broken at the time of the creation of the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

When you link an icon from another file, the name does not show as "path" in the Layer panel, it should show it as <Linked File> and it is also weird that like in the next image, only 1 path was affected by this who knows problem.

icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to the file so that we can try to troubleshoot it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason the icon looks pixelated is because it is not vector. It probably started out as vector when it was first drawn in Illustrator or other drawing application, but it is bitmap in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara, if you open the PDF in Illustrator, there are no images, just vectors (that look like bitmaps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ton! You're right. I opened the file in Acrobat and it appeared as a bitmap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing you can do about it, maybe ask your client for another (the original) version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my first approach but this is the only file available.

Any idea of why this happens? This is the first time I see this problem happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who did create it and how? It looks like the result of low res tracing.

I don't think that this can happen automatically in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the client cannot provide the vector version, the icons should really be re-drawn. It wouldn't take long if you know how to draw vectors.

Using another method, you can improve the icons quite a bit, but they will be far from perfect. One way to do that would be to open the file in Illustrator, Object > Rasterize using at least 300 dpi. Then use the Image Trace command with 2 colors. Adjust the sliders in the Image Trace, expand to vector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already started to redraw my vectores but forgot to tell you that I tried your suggestion playing with different options but all of them just convert the path into a rectangle. Not sure when to use that function cause in my case it didn't work.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are seeing only a rectangle, you may be in View > Outline.

I don't have your file any more and can't access it from the link, but this is what I was meant, and as I mentioned, it will be far from perfect.

Object > Rasterize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines