• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path with Gradient Stroke Pastes as Outlined Path

Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. Here's a new one to me, and I've been using this app forever.

I'm working on a logo, and stroking my path with a gradient. Nice, and normal. But, when I use copy/paste for that path, it invariably pastes as an outlined path! Doesn't happen with Option dragging, just pasting. To get a path into another document, I have to arrange the pages and option drag! Wild!

This seems like a new thing. Is it just MY bug, or is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes - btw, I work around it by either option dragging or pasting a solid stroked path and applying the gradient afterwards. And this happens with no width tool applied. Any feedback'll be appreciated.

PS - Mac OS 10.13.6 (I know, old) and newest Illustrator

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor
TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Is there any extension in your system that enhances the clipboard?

There are other apps that are known to mess with the clipboard, such as antivirus or screensharing or the like. What's running?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

PROBLEM SOLVED: I can confirm in my case that the contributing factor was third party app Launchbar—specifically LaunchBar's "clipboard history" functionality. When I disable clipboard history in LaunchBar's preferences (or, even better, add Adobe Illustrator to the "Ignore apps" list) this problem goes away. @S_Gans were you using Launchbar, or maybe another app that intercepted calls to the clipboard?

Thanks all for your testing and thanks @Monika Gause for point me to the problem, and to @Egor Chistyakov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any extension in your system that enhances the clipboard?

There are other apps that are known to mess with the clipboard, such as antivirus or screensharing or the like. What's running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do. I wonder if that's it... weird, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been reported on Uservoice. It might be a bug on the Mac version. I can copy/paste a gradient stroke without it getting expanded on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do it on the Mac without problems.

It's an issue with certain tools that mess with the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Monika Gause, just wanted to set the record straight here. I read your answer (which is absolutely correct!) but by the time I got around to actually testing out all my third party extensions to see what it was I forgot who got me started down that road. It was you! I edited my other post to reflect this. Thanks very much.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted - just in case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still around in 2023. I'm using AI 27.1.1 on MacOS 13.1. I've upvoted on uservoice (4 votes!). See attached sample file if anyone else on Mac wants to test. - Mark

Screenshot-2023-01-03-at-12.19.51.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it on the Mac with version 27.1.1. No problems. https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/f7e69a89-ee06-4390-694a-b88e8e69aab8 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika. It's intriguing. Did you try copy/pasting my sample file above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, for me the stroked circle in your sample file doesn't get converted to a gradient mesh when copying and pasting it into the same document or into a different file.

Illustrator 27.1.1 on Mac OS 12.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing Kurt. It's very weird behaviour. Here's a video I just recorded. I copy-paste several times and occasionally it works as it should! It seems to be the copy that is corrupting rather than the paste, because when I do a single copy and many pastes, when it fails once it fails every time thereafter. I wonder if I am using a third-party extension that might be interfering. I will test that when I get a chance.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just by the way: my system is 12.5 as well.

So maybe it's the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED: I can confirm in my case that the contributing factor was third party app Launchbar—specifically LaunchBar's "clipboard history" functionality. When I disable clipboard history in LaunchBar's preferences (or, even better, add Adobe Illustrator to the "Ignore apps" list) this problem goes away. @S_Gans were you using Launchbar, or maybe another app that intercepted calls to the clipboard?

Thanks all for your testing and thanks @Monika Gause for point me to the problem, and to @Egor Chistyakov for asking me the leading question on uservoice!

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm your findings, Mark: With LaunchBar and the clipboard history option turned on I can reproduce the copy and paste issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt. Nice to have that confirmed. The devs must have known it was potentially disruptive and hence why they have added the ability to ignore applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah - this thread's been going a while! @m1b , I haven't used Launchbar in years, but I DO run a few apps that do things to the clipboard (most are disabled, but I use iClip ALL the time... 
I never did find any of my plugins or extensions to fix this - and I haven't attempted it again in ages, but I will now - and then see how it works if I disable iClip (if necessary). Thanks.

EDIT!!! SO, I see why I haven't worked on it again. I'd forgotten about it being a problem! I can see that, because it works perfectly well now. 
It may be about having upgraded. I don't think I have any different plugins or clipboard apps running, from when I first posted... 
Anyway - it really is working exactly as it should be, now... Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice to hear! If nothing else, there is closure on this old thread. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines