Highlighted

Pattern brush unwanted spacing

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. 

I have been trying to create a seamless pattern brush but regardless of what I do, Illustrator introduces this unwanted spacing between the repeating sequence and I have no idea what I can do to get rid of it or why it appeared.

pattern issue.jpg

I triple checked and made sure there were no stray points going outside the bounding box of the tile, I recreated the pattern a few times, but no luck, I keep getting the same issue. I even disabled the GPU pefromance option thinking that might be it, but surprise surprise - same issue 😐

Here is the AI file in case you want to take a look. 

Thank you all in advance. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pattern brush unwanted spacing

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. 

I have been trying to create a seamless pattern brush but regardless of what I do, Illustrator introduces this unwanted spacing between the repeating sequence and I have no idea what I can do to get rid of it or why it appeared.

pattern issue.jpg

I triple checked and made sure there were no stray points going outside the bounding box of the tile, I recreated the pattern a few times, but no luck, I keep getting the same issue. I even disabled the GPU pefromance option thinking that might be it, but surprise surprise - same issue 😐

Here is the AI file in case you want to take a look. 

Thank you all in advance. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried printing the pattern? What I see is likely an anti-aliasing screen problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry, 

I didn't try printing it, but I will give it a try, thank you for the reccomandation. My main concern is that when I enlarge the brush size to 10 for exaple, the gap widens, which makes me believe it isn't an anti-aliasing issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. I printed and wasn't able to see the lines. I am a bit concerned though that the lines will be visible on the actual professional printing. 

Any idea how to fix this AA issue (if that's actually the issue)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you get a proof from your printer? Usually it works that it is less likely that it will appear when done professionally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that there will be troubles.

Turn on CPU preview and disable the Anti-aliased Artwork option in the general application preferences. If you then do not see any gaps, everything should be fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upate - I have copied the stroke from illustrator to Photoshop and the gap between the pattern brush elements is there, meaning it's not just a antialiasing issue, it's an actual physical gap. Any idea how to eliminate it? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator you could try a Rasterize Effect with a high resolution and Art Optimized anti-aliasing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I need to print the files as vector and not rasterize them. I also want to get rid of the gap in the actual vector artwork.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Rasterize Effect is non-destructable, it can be turned off.

There is probably not a real gap between the pattern tiles, it is caused by the way Illustrator calculates the pixels displayed on screen, a low resolution device.

That means that other low resolution devices, like desktop printers can show these anti-aliasing artifacts too.

Higher resolution devices won't show these.

In the end, when you print your artwork, it will be rasterized, so you may give it a try with a high resolution Rasterize effect in Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, 

I am working on a 4K display, this issue shouldn't appear. I tried the rasterizing effect, and the spacing disappears, thank you for reccomending it. I am still looking for a sollution to my issue with vector pattern brushes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K does not mean high resolution. A 4K  display of 31,5 inches wide has a resolution of around 140/150 ppi, still low resolution compared to professional printing devices.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Alex5EE8 LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience it is not a "physical" gap, at least not one that appears when printing the things.

You are however right that there is an issue when copying and pasting into Photoshop. I am not quite sure what source (information) is being used and transfered during that process.

Nonetheless, the gaps at your pattern brush that are visible on screen will not appear when printed, if you ask me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kurt. Looks like there's nothing I can do to fix this, I was really hoping I could eliminate the gap someway. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Resources