Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern don't follow perspective grid

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm working on an illustration where I'm using a one-point perspective grid. It works fine to draw shapes in the grid but my problem is that I have a pattern as a fill, inside the shapes, and the pattern does not warp with the perspective. So, what do I need to do to make the pattern follow the perspective grid too?

I would really appreciate it if someone knows how! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Yes. It cannot be a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to expand the pattern fill. Also you will have to outline strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! Tried to expand the pattern fill after I drew the shape in the perspective grid (and the shape is following the perspective) but the pattern stayed the same and didn't warp to follow the perspective. Any idea what I am doing wrong? At what stage should I expand the pattern fill? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I got it, I no longer can have it as a pattern, it needs to be individual grouped vectors to warp to the perspective grid? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It cannot be a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can fake it, create 2 same size rectangles.

Fill one with a pattern and place the other into the perspective grid.

Send the one with the pattern to the back.

Set the Object > Envelope Distort > Envelope Options... to: Distort Pattern Fills.

Select both rectangles and choose Object Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this solution but it warps the pattern weirdly. Or, it looks sort of cool but it's not what I want for this illustration. I've attached a screenshot, 1st is with the perspective grid and 2nd is what the pattern looks like after I "Make with Top Object". I want the pattern to warp so it goes towards the vanishing point (like in 3), any idea why it doesn't?

Scrreenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator made the envelope wrong.

You need to make this with a workaround:

Add an achor point somewhere on that path, so there are 5 points on the object.

Then select the 4 corners withthe direct selection tool and Object > Make gradient mesh.

Then apply that as a Make with top object envelope.

I've made a video about the process https://youtu.be/aIqGHoLPuuE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably hit a limit. It is probably too extreme to go to the vanishing point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines