• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern making & layering on illustrator for screen printing - layers cannot align. Please help!

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, 

I am using illustrator for screen printing. The idea is the object with be duplicated and created into a pattern on illustrator. 

The image has two layers. One layer is the outline of the object and the second layer is the block colour of the object.  

When I go to make x 2 patterns of these x 2 layers and overlay them, they are not alligned. It seems the pattern has shifted the image to the left slightly every time it has duplicated the object. So some objects are alligned, other's are not. 

For print screening you need to make sure they are all aligned so you can imagine my fustration! Can anyone help, what am I doing wrong or is this a glitch in pattern making / layering in Illustrator? 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

It depends how you make the pattern.

The old way was creating a no stroke no fil rectangle at the back of your pattern and drag it with the pattern to the swatches panel.  The no stroke no fil rectangle determines the size

The new way is using the Paternmaker (Object > Pattern > Make) you can see the tile size in the patternmaker panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aligning to the pixel grid? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry i'm new to illustrator how do i align to the pixel grid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both patterns have the same pattern tile size?

Is Transform Pattern Tiles checked in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, I found out yesterday that the tiles are actually slightly different. When creating the pattern how do you guarantee the exact same tile size? I think that should fix it. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It depends how you make the pattern.

The old way was creating a no stroke no fil rectangle at the back of your pattern and drag it with the pattern to the swatches panel.  The no stroke no fil rectangle determines the size

The new way is using the Paternmaker (Object > Pattern > Make) you can see the tile size in the patternmaker panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines