• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patterns and swatches ?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I apologize for the vague title. I have no idea how to describe this in a brief headline.

When I make a repeat pattern, I drag the pattern to swatches and it looks like the pattern I made. 

But when I pull it out of swatches, it changes some, all, or portions of the motifs to black or white blobs.

It has happened whether I design in Procreate, Ai for the ipad, Ai on desktop or upload an image I've designed into Ai.

It does not happen consistently, so I can't record what I do leading up to it to cause it.

I know it happens when I use the blob brush, but I can't remember if it happens with other tools.

Sometimes it will happen when I make the pattern, too, before I pull it out of swatches. 

I have been trying to figure this out for quite awhile now, almost a year, and I've been so far unsuccessful.

TIA,

Casey

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Hi Casey, I had a look at your file.

Double clicking the pattern gives the clipping path warning, that happens when the old method (drag to the swatches panel with an invisible rectangle in the back) was used to create a pattern.

Double clicking the pattern in the swatches panel and clicking done seems to solve the problem.

I would recommend to use the pattern editor to edit your patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screendumps would help understand the problem (please use the insert fotos button).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, it would definitely help to have a picture, but I don't think I have any. When it happens, I've remade the pattern until it doesn't happen anymore. I'm not sure I have any left. But I will check. Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one! Here's an example: The image on the left is the pattern, the center image is when the pattern is pulled out of swatches directly into the document, and the image on the right is the pattern placed within an artboard. It didn't help, as I'd hoped. I'm disappointed to see this, too, because I checked this pattern a number of times and thought it was fixed. It's been about a week since I last worked with it. I've notice that happen, too - patterns I thought were ok, weren't after some time went by. I'm stumped. 

Rings-F.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like there is masking or some other combined object and it gets lost.

It would help if we could also see the structure of this in the layers panel. We would need to see the paths/groups/clipping masks (whatever there is) inside the layer, not just "Layer 1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I go about sharing that? I don't mind sharing the file but I don't think I've done it before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw that someone else had a possibly similar issue with their pattern, and they said they needed to drag the pattern into a defined square. Then it didn't happen. 

Could that be the issue here? I've never heard of that before but I'm new to Ai, just started using it last year. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you double click the pattern in the Swatches panel instead of dragging it onto the artboard?

That will open the pattern maker for editing.

If you want to share a file, you can use WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google filesharing or similar services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for continuing this with me.

I'll give dropbox a try.

Here's what it looks like, though, when I double click on the pattern rather than dragging it out:

Does that mean anything to you? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this works, I'm sharing file access. I'm attempting it through CC.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/077d8038-d70e-4f6d-6752-a4305c99f752

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm laughing because I REALLY shared the wrong double click with you earlier! 

Hopefully the file share works, but just in case, I'm also attaching a screen shot of what the pattern looks like when I double click on it in the swatches. I wish I could delete that other photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Casey, I had a look at your file.

Double clicking the pattern gives the clipping path warning, that happens when the old method (drag to the swatches panel with an invisible rectangle in the back) was used to create a pattern.

Double clicking the pattern in the swatches panel and clicking done seems to solve the problem.

I would recommend to use the pattern editor to edit your patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh, Ton, that worked! Thank you so much!

You're right, I did use the drag method to make the pattern; I didn't realize it was "old." lol

I really appreciate your help with this. It has taken me so long to fix it and I couldn't find anyone who knew what I was talking about. It didn't happen consistently, so I couldn't record it, and then for instance in this ring pattern, it would look ok, and we'd think all was good, but then it would act up again after a few days! How weird is that? 

I'm so happy to know about this so I can fix any others I might still have! Hopefully by using the pattern editor it won't happen again, though. Is thte pattern editor up in Object>Pattern>Make ?

Thank you again, Ton, you've seriously made my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped, Casey. Yes the drag method is "old" it was introduced in Illustrator 88 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI again! Well, guess what? The blobs returned. After "sitting" without being opened, when I went to open the file last week, the blobs returned when I pulled the pattern out.

So now it's not a big deal, I know how to fix it. 

But can you tell me how I might have created that issue in the first place? I'd like to be able to avoid it in the future, rather than just fix it each time it happens. (Besides stop using the "old" drag method :-)!)

Thank you so much!

Casey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines