Highlighted

PDF Modification Detected

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was recently working in an Illustrator PDF (preserve editing on). I had said PDF opened in Preview simultaneously, Illustrator crashed and now when opening the file I am presented with a "PDF Modification Detected" warning — I can "discard changes" or "keep changes", however both options loose the work of my last save. Oddly enough I am able to see the lost work in the Illustrator recent file thumbnail. Also to note, the lost work is residing outside of the artboard.

Any suggestions in a possible way to recover this lost work would be greatly appreciated!! 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF Modification Detected

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was recently working in an Illustrator PDF (preserve editing on). I had said PDF opened in Preview simultaneously, Illustrator crashed and now when opening the file I am presented with a "PDF Modification Detected" warning — I can "discard changes" or "keep changes", however both options loose the work of my last save. Oddly enough I am able to see the lost work in the Illustrator recent file thumbnail. Also to note, the lost work is residing outside of the artboard.

Any suggestions in a possible way to recover this lost work would be greatly appreciated!! 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start by actually opening the PDF in Acrobat and re-saving it to a new file from there. Just having the internal structure repaired can fix some things. Acrobat may also offer to revoer unknown content as attachments which you can save from there. If you're lucky, your whole AI file may be there, just not a valid PDF preview.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mylenium,

Thanks so much for the response. I gave that a try, but still seem to get the same results when taking the new PDF into illustrator.

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you have Time Machine running? And your last saved version is still in there?

If it's not in there, there is no other place where it could be.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggrestion Monika, unfortuantly I've never used Time Machine. I've never run into an issue quite like this. I feel the data is in the PDF, but that may be wishful thinking. If only I could place the file including the contents outside the artboard I would know for sure...

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Resources