Highlighted

PDF to JPEG transforms colors into RGB instead of CMYK

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Really hoping to finding some answers here. I'm working on an old iMac (2009) with OS X El Capitan so still with my ancien Adobe licences for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.  Just realised that all my files that I have been saving first in PDF and then exporting with Preview as JPEG actually end up in RGB instead of CMYK.

First I thought the problem came from my Illustrator..but now, if I'm understanding right all I have been reading, the real issue might be in Preview.

I think I'm doing what I should ; saving in PDF/X-1:2001, checking the output as Coated FOGRA39 etc. but nothing seems to do the trick. Checked with both Illustrator and Photoshop ; the same happens (CMYK becomes RGB after I export the Photoshop PDF into JPEG on Preview).

When I open the JPEG files with the Preview inspector I always end up with a RGB and not CMYK file.

Also tried exporting directly from Illustrator into JPEG, but then I have only 72 dpi instead of 300 (??)

Is there anybody who can help me with this ? I'm sorry if the subject is "just me" or if it's more general and has already been treated...but thank you in advance for any bit of information that could help (except for "you should just buy a new machine" :-))

Thank you !!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

"On Illustrator I make mainly logos and posters, and when exporting directly into JPEG, I need to add white (or other color) background ; otherwise the artboard is limited to the illustration. Right ?"

If you check "Use Artboards" when exporting, you don't need to add white.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF to JPEG transforms colors into RGB instead of CMYK

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Really hoping to finding some answers here. I'm working on an old iMac (2009) with OS X El Capitan so still with my ancien Adobe licences for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.  Just realised that all my files that I have been saving first in PDF and then exporting with Preview as JPEG actually end up in RGB instead of CMYK.

First I thought the problem came from my Illustrator..but now, if I'm understanding right all I have been reading, the real issue might be in Preview.

I think I'm doing what I should ; saving in PDF/X-1:2001, checking the output as Coated FOGRA39 etc. but nothing seems to do the trick. Checked with both Illustrator and Photoshop ; the same happens (CMYK becomes RGB after I export the Photoshop PDF into JPEG on Preview).

When I open the JPEG files with the Preview inspector I always end up with a RGB and not CMYK file.

Also tried exporting directly from Illustrator into JPEG, but then I have only 72 dpi instead of 300 (??)

Is there anybody who can help me with this ? I'm sorry if the subject is "just me" or if it's more general and has already been treated...but thank you in advance for any bit of information that could help (except for "you should just buy a new machine" :-))

Thank you !!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

"On Illustrator I make mainly logos and posters, and when exporting directly into JPEG, I need to add white (or other color) background ; otherwise the artboard is limited to the illustration. Right ?"

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator an Photoshop do you have?

It should be possible to have them export to a CMYK jpeg.

Preview does not support that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Few software packages recognize CMYK jpg files. Adobe can generate them but the recognized JPEG standard is set for RGB. Where will you be using these files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say Preview do you mean the Mac app called Preview? Don't use that for anything involving PDF, or anything involving CMYK! Photoshop will do whatever you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Photoshop is the way to go for pdf to jpeg.

But Apple Preview does a good job converting (cmyk) eps and PostScript to pdf.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so many answers, Thank you !!

My Illustrator + Photoshop are both CS5. Yes I can export to CMYK JPEG, that's what I do naturally when working on Photoshop.

On Illustrator I make mainly logos and posters, and when exporting directly into JPEG, I need to add white (or other color) background ; otherwise the artboard is limited to the illustration. Right ?

I really thought my vector based posters were all CMYK - and the JPEG logos too - even though for the logos it's not that big of a deal as clients actually only use the JPEG RGB files for www and not for print. I guess I'm more worried about the posters. Brochures etc that I make on InDesign are saved and delivered only as PDF files so no problem there.

I didn't know Preview (yes, the Mac app) didn't support CMYK files !! So it's not me who doesn't know how to use it. I could use Photoshop, and I do when I need special effects that can't be done on Illustrator...but I found it really easy and "light", just opening the PDF files on Preview (opening automatically anyways) and exporting that way into JPEGs. As I have so many files to be saved, this is (was..?) a huge save of time.

Photoshop CS5 is so heavy to use (I know, my life would get so much easier if I just bought that new machine and let go of my licences...) ; if I have to have it open all the time, and put all my work going through just to get the CMYK files...well let's say I don't love the idea.

But there's nothing better, is there ? That wouldn't ruin me right away ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0