Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool is only moving in hard angles

Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting an image trace with my pen tool but as I'm nearing completion of the project, my pen tool has gone wonky. The lines can only be drawn in certain angles with large gaps in between, making it impossible to trace the rest of my lines. How do you fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

It's located under the "View" menu.  I turned it on and it does seem to not allow me to draw a line just at any angle.  It wants to snap to the next angle err grid mark available.  I think this may be the answer?  Turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tap your shift key a couple of times to see if it's stuck  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not 90 degree angles, they're like 30 degree angles, whenever I try to draw off of an anchor point, my lines is placed a couple points to the side as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you have "Snap to Grid" turned on or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Thanks for the help:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's located under the "View" menu.  I turned it on and it does seem to not allow me to draw a line just at any angle.  It wants to snap to the next angle err grid mark available.  I think this may be the answer?  Turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a life saver, I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I could be of help.  I know how frustrating it is at times when you somehow accidentally turn something on and then the program starts behaving differently and you don't know where or how to turn it back off.  Good thing I was bored and looking for something to do for a few minutes.  I'm actually leaving early today because we're all caught up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, you are a life saver!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to restart Illustrator, restart your computer, reset the Illustrator Preferences:

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines