Highlighted

pen tool with an asterisk

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite a beginner with Illustrator. I have drawn straight and curved lines, but now my pen tool has a small asterisk and I cannot draw normal curves any more. What is this asterisk (kind of a small star), and how can I get it away?

[Spelling changed from asterix (sic) to asterisk by moderator for international translation purposes.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

pen tool with an asterisk

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite a beginner with Illustrator. I have drawn straight and curved lines, but now my pen tool has a small asterisk and I cannot draw normal curves any more. What is this asterisk (kind of a small star), and how can I get it away?

[Spelling changed from asterix (sic) to asterisk by moderator for international translation purposes.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 23, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "CapsLock" in the middle of the left of the keyboard keys may have been pressed. The light on the key may be lit. This changes the look of the toolbox tools you use.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer but that did not help. The CapsLock in not pressed.

SULZER CONFIDENTIAL

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 0
Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meliinar34225305  wrote

Thank you for your answer but that did not help. The CapsLock in not pressed.

SULZER CONFIDENTIAL

What is the reference to "Sulzer Confidential"? Is that part of your issue with the Pen tool?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 0
Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An astersisk means that you are drawing a new path.

PEN TOOL Variations and Symbol meanings | Get the Hook!!!

What OS are you on? You may need to reset your prefs, or remove/update (eg: wacom driver) any nonstandard plugins that are interfering.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @MikeGondek mentioned, this is the starting point with the pen tool. If this is showing up over a line you are trying to add points on, this means your line isn't selected. Make sure your line is selected by using the selection tool and try again. The pen tool should show up with the + or - symbol under it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
katyw LATEST
New Here ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So hard to draw with the crazy star. Go to AI preferences - Selection and Anchor Display, at the very bottom of the box uncheck pen tool "enable rubber bands" very frustrating when you update and it takes an hour to figure out such a simple setting. Working in Catalina 10.15.4 CC 2020. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 0