• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Percentage of colors used

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello . some of my clients require, for each illustration or animated film, that I use only a specific percentage of colors according to their graphic charter. For example 20% black, 30% white, 40% F9B216 ... is there any way, in illustrator or any other adobe software, to count the percentage of colors used for an image? Thank you for your answers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

The plugin InkQuest does that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean pick up the used colors? And save swatches?

Or measure total ink used?

Or recolor artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean measure total ink used .When I create an illustration I must use a precise percentage of color defined, and not to exceed this quota of color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plugin InkQuest does that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ask him to send you colors and pick colors for your artwork

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this to ensure you don't go over the total ink limit for their printing process? For example are they giving you a number like 280% ink limit? If so this can be adjusted after the fact during pre-press operations. If not, I'm really curious what the reason is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for my english but it seems you don't realy understand what I'm looking for.

I'm working for a famous brand that have a graphic chart. When I'm doing an advert illustration or a animated clip for this brand, they ask me to use precise percentage of their color chart and not more . If I exeed the color quota according their chart or their visual approval, they can refuse my work... So i need a tool for that .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didouchette  schrieb

If I exeed the color quota according their chart or their visual approval, they can refuse my work... So i need a tool for that .

Create swatches from the colors you are allowed to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Monika 🙂 I already have all Pantone in a Library and also a wheel . InkQuest seems to be the only way... I know that my request is unusual but perhaps Adobe could think about that... Anyway thank you for you Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there

did you get InkQuest to solve your problem? i also need to know %s of colours in a design. it's for a different purpose - our designs are for textile/fabric weaving and we need to know how much of a given material will be used in a pattern. i'm researching InkQuest but not sure it's going to give a simple 20% blue, 50% red, 30% black answer....if you know what i mean.

so i'm curious if you had any success with it (or other solutions???).

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soyouwant to point your cursor somewhere and then get a readout? Suchas Acrobat does? Or InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

um, well it doesn't matter how it shows me, but the information i need is to know the ratio of different fill colors within a path (or combined paths). eg, we have a rug design that is two tone. i need to know the ratio between the two tones - 20/80, 30/70, 40/60 etc.

is there a way in Illustrator to select all of a single fill color within a shape and it will tell me the percentage of that color inside the shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color panel shows you the color definitions. Is that what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hhmmm. um, no. not sure how best to explain this.... so, we design rugs, some of which are high/low pile with different materials. ie in a simple pattern of say alternating lines each 10cm wide some lines would be thicker and made out of a different material (call it part A) and the rest of the lines would be flatter and from another material (B). to get accurate price estimates for this type of design before actually making a whole bunch of rug samples or actual rug prototypes we need to know how much of the design will be the high part (A) and how much would be the low part (B).

we design using Illustrator and send to the rug mills who have their own software for translating our work into large format print outs. they are able to work out the ratio of a full rendering but only once they have a full spec to work with. i'd like to be able to quickly and accurately estimate material quantities on my end while the designs are still in development. of course, i can look at a design and do a rough estimate but i thought maybe Illustrator had a way of recognizing how much of a selected set of paths make up a certain combined shape.

does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what InkQuest could do for you (check the text in the bottom part of the panel). The design uses spot colors.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-17 um 12.08.04.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-02-17 um 12.07.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow, yes, that looks like it just what i'm looking for! InkQuest is an Adobe plug-in or third party?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's offered by a third party: Astute Graphics.

There are demo versions available so you can check out yourself on your artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines