Place a specific layer link into a new file. (link files question)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a random linked file question about Illustrator.

Here is an example, with generic names of what I'm trying to accomplish.

There are four .ai files: LeadFile.ai, first_layer.ai, second_layer.ai and third_layer.ai.

LeadFile.ai consists of 3 layers named: first_layer, second_layer and third_layer.

I'd like to place a link to the LeadFile.ai into each of the other 3 .ai files, but only have the corresponding layer show up in the other .ai files.

Does this make sense? Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Franz

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 04, 2020
Kurt Gold Adobe Community Professional , Dec 04, 2020
InDesign has this capability. Illustrator does not have it at the moment. At least, as far as I understand your request.  

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has this capability. Illustrator does not have it at the moment. At least, as far as I understand your request.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advisor ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve given the explanation. My Brain! The only thing I can think of that will give you the end result you are looking for (it is questionable if I am grasping the desired end result) you might want to turn on the "Paste Remembers Layers" in the Layers dropdown menu. This will at least allow you to copy and paste objects from one Illustrator document to another while remembering layer names.

If you just want Leadfile.ai to be the starting point with the layer structor you could save it as a .ait Illustrator Template file for distribution. Or if you are looking to open this document again and again as a starting point you can use the New Document dialog to target one Illustrator file as a starting point and have as a default New Document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines