• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed PDF in Illustrator has gaps in lines where they intersect with rectangles

New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a diagram that I made in a PDF file, which I'm trying to place using Illustrator to make a multi-pane figure for a scientific publication. However, some of the lines that are drawn in the original PDF file have breaks in them once I've placed them using Illustrator.

Here's a zoomed view part of the PDF before placing:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.29.17 PM.png

 And here it is after being placed:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.29.25 PM.png

 How can I avoid this problem?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using the Place command (as it sounds like you're doing) what happens if you use File>Open to open the PDF file directly into Illustrator? Since part of the native format of Illustrator is PDF you should be able to just open it in this manner and have it retain its vector qualities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open the PDF directly, it does indeed preserve the original image. However, I still need to add the other panes of the figure (which are each their own PDF file). Is there a way to place and arrange multiple PDFs through File>Open instead of File>Place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open all the files and copy/paste their content into a new file.

PDF was never even meant for editing and Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor. So if it works: be happy. If it doesn't: there's probably not a lot you can do about it other than fix the artwork..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option is to place the PDFs into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines