• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help... newbie confused about fonts.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone.

im very new to all of this digital art, and I only just got an iPad Pro.  I’ve been playing around in

illustrator, and would like to know how to import a font with an .oft

I’ve searched the forum and now more confused lol

its a font the colours can be manipulated.  I downloaded it as a zip file, unzipped it, but don’t know

How to move the .otf file into illustrator.

i have installed it onto my iPad, however it only shows up black.  Apparently the font can

only be manipulated in adobe programs.

please help!!

Michelle from    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A font is a font is a font. You install it on your system using the system font panel and use text tools to create text in AI or whatever program. If you want to manipulate the actual font file, you need different programs like FontExplorer or FontStudio. The rest is makes no sense. At this point I'm not aware that any program would actually support font coloring in an OpenType font file, even if it may exist in some exotic part of the technical specification. In any case, as far as Adobe programs in their current state are concerned it's a moot point.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rest is makes no sense. At this point I'm not aware that any program would actually support font coloring in an OpenType font file...

SVG Fonts support color and its format is a subset of OpenType (.otf). Support for it is listed as one of the changes in the 2018 version of Illustrator.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. Thanks for sharing that bit. I wasn't aware.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you're using an iPad, you're using Draw, not Adobe Illustrator.

i don't know if Draw supports svg fonts. ask on the Draw forum.

Adobe Illustrator Draw (mobile app)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will ask there.  I kind of didnt understand all the techno talk youguys said. But thanks anyway.

Michelle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Illustrator Draw does not have support for type (no need for fonts)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key thing is that all that stuff (like installing fonts in the system) applies to Mac or Windows. Not iPad. Also iPad can’t run Illustrator. Using fonts in an iOS app is something done in the app, and usually impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines