• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help!! "A File I/O Error Has Occurred" every time I try to save...

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a postcard design for print purposes with several embedded images and text elements. I've saved successfully several times early on, but suddenly, every time I attempt to save, I get the message "A File I/O Error Has Occurred". I need to get this to the printer, but can't make important changes now. HELP!

Thanks,
paul
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008
Are you saving to a Server?

Save locally if you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Hi Larry, I am encountering the same error message...prior to today, I was able to save from CS 5 to my 8G external drive...if trash is the issue, please tell me how to empty the trash from my external drive.   - Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a Server?

Save locally if you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew!! Thanks buddy!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!! thank god!!!

god bless you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems when saving to my school Google Drive! You helpped me so much. Your a life saver. Thank you🫡.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy! Wasn't saving to a server, but to a 2-gig jump drive. When I saved it to my mac's hard drive, no problem. Is there a short answer to why that happens? I didn't appear to be out of space on the external drive...

Thanks Scott!

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Trash on the jump drive. It may need to be emptied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Your advice cleared my drive and I was able to fix the jump drive.  Bethddd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry, I am encountering the same error message...prior to today, I was able to save from CS 5 to my 8G external drive...if trash is the issue, please tell me how to empty the trash from my external drive.   - Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the external drive active by selecting it and opening. Then just empty the trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whan hard drive low space than it errar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue (in PC) and emptying the trash was the solution. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emptying the trash doesn't work for me. I have three internal hard drives and it won't save as an .AI or .PDF to any other them. However, I can save the file as an EPS. I can also export for web. It's very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Emptying the trash doesn't work for me. I have three internal hard drives and it won't save as an .AI or .PDF to any other them. However, I can save the file as an EPS. I can also export for web. It's very frustrating."

Please create a new thread. It's close to impossible to further discuss in this thread, because your post can hardly be found. Also: this is old.

In your new thread please tell us your system and version and exactly where you are saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say specifically, the File I/O error clearly indicates that Illustrator can't write to wherever you are asking it to write to. Could be a server without proper permissions, a jump drive formatted as NTFS, a Diskette that's full or locked, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empty the trash on the computer after selecting your jump drive or external drive. that worked for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just clearing the drive you are saving to helps or try saving it to another drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to Change the Version of your Programm, because of the contact with the Server you have some glitches :::)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me when I had to restore files to my computer from a backup source after some repairs. The issue was that my Illustrator scratch disk had been set to my largest partition :E and after restoring my files my partition was listed as :F due to a temporary reserved partition from my backup taking :E upon reboot. I have had to relink a lot of things because of this and my scratch disk was no different. If this affects you, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Plug-Ins and Scratch Disks -> make sure that Primary is set to the right and/or largest partition in your hardrive. Best of Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TNKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that embedding vector art into Indesign can be the culprit of an error that happens when exporting to pdf. I converted them to jpgs and - it worked. (Indesign saved fine with the vector art embedded - but errors occurred while exporting - or while trying to reduce the file size.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector art in InDesign as such should not be an issue with InDesign. And converting it to JPG as general advice doesn't sound like good advice.

So exactly what did you place?

Exactly which file format?

How large was the filesize?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Korei28937947s5ig_0-1679108951532.png

I can not save 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines