Exit

Pls just tell me how - CS6 Yosemite Java

Advisor ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so confused with all the advice over this everywhere i'm looking

just updated a 2011 macbook pro to 10.10.2 - now illustrator cs6 won't open

it gets "To open “Adobe Illustrator CS6.app” you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime."

the link goes to Java for OS X 2014-001 also About Java for OS X 2014-001 - Apple Support but those pages say "Download the latest version of Java for OS X directly from Oracle. Download the latest version of Java for OS X directly from Oracle."

i did downloaded from here https://www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en and rebooted several times still no joy

all os and apps up to date -- i'm really going to hate this is the fix is to uninstall all my adobe apps and reinstall them -- does reinstalling actually work -- is that what i'm missing (it worked great before I upgraded 10.10 over 10.8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

THIS WORKED FOR ME RATHER EFFORTLESSLY (installed the latest Java from Oracle and running the 2 terminal codes) from Kals #7:

Why not install the latest version of Java from Oracle (currently Java 8) and try the solution I linked to? You can create the folders manually in the Finder, or just copy and paste the following commands into the Terminal (one at a time of course) to create them automatically:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Libra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gator soup,

You may be able to get round the legacy JAVA requirement as follows:

Create empty folders at “/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk” and “/System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle”, to make Illustrator use Jave SE 8 as it should.

The solution was presented by Kals in post #7 here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1637908

Here is the direct download site:

Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

Some have found that the page may turn up blank to start with, so it may be necessary to reload the page.

Others have found that it may depend on browser. Specifically, a switch from Safari has solved it in one case.

The right way/order is to update the OS, then reinstall the applications, at least the one(s) with (remaining) issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 10.10.2 system navigates like this

HD> System> Library> Java (shown below):

i don't have a JavaVirtualMachines> 1.6.0.jdk

or a Support> Deploy.bundle

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 11.57.43 AM.png

in the java folder above, am i supposed to make a new folder "JavaVirtualMachines"

and make a new folder in that folder called "1.6.0.jdk" -- for example, is that what you mean?

do you have a screenshot in column view of how it is supposed to look?

thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED FOR ME RATHER EFFORTLESSLY (installed the latest Java from Oracle and running the 2 terminal codes) from Kals #7:

Why not install the latest version of Java from Oracle (currently Java 8) and try the solution I linked to? You can create the folders manually in the Finder, or just copy and paste the following commands into the Terminal (one at a time of course) to create them automatically:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle

Saved Me from uninstall/reinstall Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how System> Library> Java folder looks after running the terminal codes:

(I'm slightly curious if uninstalling/reinstalling Illustrator would have worked without installing Java since it seems Apple doesn't like Java)? Now I have to watch I keep Java updated (I will be switching another 2011 Macbook Pro over to 10.10.2 and will try the reinstall without installing the Java)...

jdk.png

deploy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall-reinstall Illustrator CS6 16.0.4 on my second upgraded 10.10.2 late 2011 MacBook Pro DID NOT WORK -- still received this JAVA error:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 9.19.22 AM.png

running the Terminal commands worked effortlessly again...  not sure why people recommend the

uninstall/reinstall fire drill to fix the solution for this Java problem, because it didn't work here

(and I rebooted the machine) and the reinstall seemed irrelevant to getting illustrator to launch...

I uninstalled only illustrator using the Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium uninstaller option in Utilities> Adobe installers and reinstalled from the original Install DVD, but it didn't work until I ran the Terminal routines to create the folders as noted previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gator soup,

not sure why people recommend theuninstall/reinstall fire drill to fix the solution for this Java problem

Nothing to do with the JACA SE issue, that was a general comment, caused by the fact that migrating the applications rather than reinstalling in connexion with an OS upgrade has been a known source of trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, again (i don't see the HELPFUL buttons anymore of i would give u a couple clicks)

no migration assistant used -- i installed 10.10.2 on top of two healthy 10.8 systems -- everything appears to work on both machines except illustrator (and that's working now on both 2011 macbook pros since i installed java 8 and ran the Terminal routines as noted)

i also saw a lot of Adobe uninstall/reinstall advice about how to fix this JAVA issue on many sites i was researching -- my point for adding my last comment and this redundant comment about that fire drill is it seems to be irrelvent to fixing this issue -- at least for me the fix was clearly adding the two folders through the Terminal or manually as in the screenshots i posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I'm not technical at all!! trying to understand what i need to do here.

can you please explain what " I ran the Terminal routines to create the folders as noted previously." means? what do i physically have to do and where? thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This description helped me solving the problem a couple of month ago:

https://oliverdowling.com.au/2014/03/28/java-se-8-on-mac-os-x/

You need to run the terminal app to do this.

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gator Soup is officially my favorite person this week.  You have saved me and my work, literally.  I CAN SAVE AGAIN!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I don´t have the support file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doramildenberg  schrieb

Hi! I don´t have the support file

Please elaborate.

Which version?

Which system?

What exactly is happening step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gator soup,

Thank you for sharing. It would be a great advantage to be able to just update the OS, obviously, so I hope it really works.

Seeing your new post, I found that I had failed to post my intended reply yesterday. But you found yourself was clearer and better, luckily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gator Soup.  This worked perfectly.

• I don't need to install the out-dated Java SE 6
  • I get to continue using the current, most-secure version of Java (currently v8)
  • I can continue using Adobe Illustrator CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gator Soup worked PERFECTLY... Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to High Sierra and lost my access to Illustrator. Hmm.

So, now that El Capitan and all MacOS versions since have disabled write access to the HD/System folder, how is one to create these folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobbybosler  schrieb

I updated to High Sierra and lost my access to Illustrator. Hmm.

You want to run CS6 on High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but specifically my question is how to do the solution proposed by gator soup​ earlier in this thread on High Sierra since I cannot edit anything in my HS / System folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think that it is possible at all?

Why didn't you just call yoruself lucky that you could run CS6 for so long and just did not update the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not very helpful. I didn't come to this forum to be belittled, I came to this forum for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to bitch at Apple for closing off the System folder. Try the Apple discussion forums and see just what you need to do to open access to the System folder. You'll probably need to run as Root or Administrator to somehow access the System folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

i followed this instructions that you shared years ago for users with the Java problem with Yosemite.

Java SE 8 on Mac OS X – Oliver Dowling

I only change to the newest Version of Java because i didnt like to install the oldest  Version.

now i have high Sierra on this Computer and Illustrator cs6 is still working.

I think that there may be some things that do not work. But for the things do with it, it does what it should.

The only thing i discovered that doesnt work as expected at this time is Bridge CS6. The Photo downloader stopped  working.

best regards

heike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobbybosler

El Capitan and above kinda blocks us from editing that stuff (system integrity protection), but there's a way around it:

sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"             (note: angled/comma quotes, e.g. “, won't work)

nvram boot-args                                            (to confirm)

sudo reboot                                                   (wait for reboot)

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk                    (if you get an error**)

sudo mkdir /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle                                     (same if error**)

sudo nvram -d boot-args                              (reboot whenever to change back)

**boot to recovery mode by holding command + "r" at the gong (release once you catch the status bar growing), then in the Utilities menu, run Terminal, and then run "csrutil disable" and "reboot" (and regular boot), then in your normal terminal, run the mkdir command (then at some point, reboot to recovery mode and "csrutil enable")

also assuming you installed java se 8 from java.com; or, maybe you can save yourself the above hassle and just get the old java from Apple (link works as of this writing, but I'm a fan of new, so I didn't test): http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1572/en_US/javaforosx.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that before doing anything, completely isolate your computer from the internet, i.e., turn off wifi and physically disconnect any ethernet cables and power down any dsl or cable modems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines