• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG Icon Files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I am new to Illustrator, and I have an icon file as a PNG, in which I am trying to change the background color.  I am able to successfully change the color, but when I do, I lose the lightbulb icon (which is white), and I end up with just a circle with the new color.  I am assuming it is a layer issue.  How do I separate the two elements (lightbulb icon, and color background), so I don't lose the white lighbulb icon when I update the background color?

Thanks for any assistance as this has been driving me crazy!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot would really help in trying to understand what you're dealing with.

Are you using Image Trace to achieve this?

If yes, select the PNG and look in the Control Panel or Properties panel for Image Trace popup menu and choose the Default Preset. Then go to Object > Image Trace > Expand. 

This should allow you to select the Background and Icon and all vector shapes individually with the Direct Selection tool (A).

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Misplaced post, deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Jeff. I went into the Properties and selected the Default Preset for the graphic. When I go to Object>Image Trace> Expand, "Expand" is grayed out and Illustrator is not allowing me to select that option.

I have tried providing a screenshot and the actual file itself, but I keep getting an error message here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ross,

Are you working with an Image Trace of a PNG, or is it still a PNG?

In the latter case you will have to Image Trace first, then you can expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ross,

As implied by Jeff, PNG is a raster image. It would seem more obvious to simply recolour it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely! Unless of course, you really need vector icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jacob.  This might be for a Photoshop community, but what would be the easiest way to recolor the background in Photoshop?

Sorry, new to most of the Adobe Creative programs.  🙂

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Jeff.

I believe this is one of many cases where we might just as well have posted oppositely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines