• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG with transparent background, placing into Illustrator with white background.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm placing a PNG file with a transparent background into Illustrator and it's showing a white background in the file. I've managed to remove the background again by selecting the 'Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape' tick box in the Opacity settings (image below)

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 18.15.43.png 

However, when I save the file as an PDF, the white boxes re-appear (image below)

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 18.18.57.png

Can anyone please help to find a solution to this issue or know what the problem could be?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

I have found a fix for the saving issue, it has something to do with Adobe Acrobat and saving as a PDF - Acrobat 5 PDF 1.4..... As soon as I've reverted to a legacy format Acrobat 4 PDF 1.3 it's saving without a white bounding box! Weird but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where was the PNG created?

A PNG with transparent background should stay transparent when place in Illustrator.

Where do you view your PDF? Apple Preview?

Preview is not reliable and does not support all features of a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom for your reply.

The PNG was created in Photoshop.

Viewing the PDF in Adobe Acrobat - part of Creative Cloud subscription.

The most confusing thing is the PNG in the Illustrator file has a clear background off the artboard but as soon as moved onto the artboard has the white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check with the option View > Show Transparency Grid in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just given this a go and this is what happens....

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 10.32.52.png

It's created a transparent box where the white box would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White is regarded as the paper on which you put your inks.

So white is always seen as transparent non painted.(unless you create a special white spot color ink swatch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, with this in mind, any ideas as to why the PNG is showing a white background when placed on a coloured background where it should be cut out (clipped?) - disappearing when I select the opacity box but re-appearing on the Adobe Acrobat PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share that PNG file using the Insert Photos button?

Share images.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go...

Rosemary_Sprig.png

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file.

I don't think there is something wrong with the .png, it places with a transparent background, linked or embedded, in a CMYK or RGB document without having to make changes in the Transparency panel.

Did you try to place it in a new document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I place all my PNG files in to documents to link them rather than embed but even when I have tried to embed, the box is still there. It's very strange - I have tried it with other PNGs and other files and everything is responding normally - it just seems to be artwork I've recieved from my client that I'm using to carete new files. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems nothing wrong with the file, but maybe resaving in Photoshop will help for you?

Also try placing in a new layer (there may be effects applied to the layer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a fix for the saving issue, it has something to do with Adobe Acrobat and saving as a PDF - Acrobat 5 PDF 1.4..... As soon as I've reverted to a legacy format Acrobat 4 PDF 1.3 it's saving without a white bounding box! Weird but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that you found a workaround.

I still cannot replicate your problem (with saving in whatever pdf version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI. Having the same issue, wether it be 8 bit, 16 bit, GB, CMYK. Since last week any png I place has a background when placing over a colour. I can't get rid of it. Same goes for PSD files placed in illustrator, and on new layers, and on new documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please create a new thread.

Tell us your version and system.

Show screenshots

If this happens outside Illustrator, please tell us the PDF viewer.

Please tell us step by step what you are doing.

Also: when was the last time you rebooted the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue since I uptades to de 2021 version of all the apps. I have no idea what to do and I can't find a solution!

Thanks for your attention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share that PNG file using the Insert Photos button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue. The affected png files were set up in indexed colour mode. After changing to RGB mode the transparency was effective in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flatten the png. Select then go to Object> Flatten transparency>Okay.

If you still see white or light grey background, then do some custom changes in Flatten transparency setting. Tick the box anti-alias raster and preserve alpha trasparency along with previously other ticked box then Okay. You're problem will be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this problem, tried rasterizing the image (within Illustrator) and tried flattening the transparency - no luck either way 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flattening transparency will obviously take it away.

What you can do is open your PNG in Photoshop and save it as a PSD or try and save it for web as a PNG.

PNGs exist in a lot of different flavours. Illustrator cannot read all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response; I will try the psd or web png next time. But you had said that flattening the transparency will obv take away the unwanted background, but this did not work - am I misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flattening will make the image intransparent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm as well having the exact same issue. I ussually just placed the PNG file to Illustrator without a problem but now is doing the same thing. It appears with a white background. I have tried everything and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines