• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Point Illustrator to another script folder?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to tell Illustrator to look for .jsx scripts in a place other than the default of

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2021\Presets\en_US\Scripts"?

(I also tried using .jsx aliases but Illustrator doesn't recognize those).

Since I'm using git to control this folder full of scripts and other personal config files I feel it would be more appropriate if the folder was located in another place so that I could fill it up with any project files I want. Of course I could just do that with the default scripts folder anyways but it just feels wrong.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

You would have to use your own script panel to be able to place scripts wherever you want.

The Illustrator app folder is a secured location so if you do this with multiple users you'd have to make sure they can all have the permissions, it's a bit of an extra hassle and makes for more stuff to keep track of.
However, there is a spot where you can kind of be in control of where some of Illustrator gets its things, such as the "Extra Plugins" folder option in app preferences (Ctrl K). So if you hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of using alias files I actually just got those working because I forgot to remove the appended " - Shortcut" string that gets auto added on to the filename when you create an alias. But it still feels wrong using aliases. I'd like to point Illustrator to a whole new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again another edit because I'm too quick for myself: aliases still don't seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You would have to use your own script panel to be able to place scripts wherever you want.

The Illustrator app folder is a secured location so if you do this with multiple users you'd have to make sure they can all have the permissions, it's a bit of an extra hassle and makes for more stuff to keep track of.
However, there is a spot where you can kind of be in control of where some of Illustrator gets its things, such as the "Extra Plugins" folder option in app preferences (Ctrl K). So if you have a C++ plugin that can do various things like add new menu items or tool buttons, you can at least do this with plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines