Highlighted

Position points using variable cardinal coordinates

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a complete beginner, wondering if illustrator can help me with this use case: I'd like to have a list of points and their cardinal coordinates in a CSV, that somehow I could upload to illustrator to automatically position them on my file / layer.

Is this possible? Could you recommend which features I should learn about to do that?

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by CarlosCanto | Adobe Community Professional

Hello, it's possible with Scripting. A script can read data from the csv. Assuming the csv has left/top coordinates and the name of the objects. Then the script can find the objects in the illustrator by their name, then apply the coordinates found on the csv.

to write scripts you need to learn Javascript (works on both win and mac). Or if you're on mac and you know applescript, that also works. Same for windows only, vbscript works as well.

you can also write scripts using Python.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Position points using variable cardinal coordinates

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a complete beginner, wondering if illustrator can help me with this use case: I'd like to have a list of points and their cardinal coordinates in a CSV, that somehow I could upload to illustrator to automatically position them on my file / layer.

Is this possible? Could you recommend which features I should learn about to do that?

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by CarlosCanto | Adobe Community Professional

Hello, it's possible with Scripting. A script can read data from the csv. Assuming the csv has left/top coordinates and the name of the objects. Then the script can find the objects in the illustrator by their name, then apply the coordinates found on the csv.

to write scripts you need to learn Javascript (works on both win and mac). Or if you're on mac and you know applescript, that also works. Same for windows only, vbscript works as well.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! Just got started with that! I'm sure I'll be back with
more specific questions 🙂

Appreciate the guidance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome to ask as many questions as you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0