• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Precise snapping to guides and points, Smart Guides do not work properly!

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an architect and use Illustrator to do detail and presentation plans that need to be very precise.

I upgraded to CS5 from Freehand X, due to the fact the in OS Lion, Freehand doesn't work anymore and unfortunatelly finally died.

After more than 20 years using Freehand, I have noticed how hard it is to work with precision guides and snaping in illustrator CS5, instead of drawing precise objects in precise locations, it takes you 3x longer because you cannot snap to guides, the objects you draw are never aligned properly with a big error probability, so you have to double check always, adjust. move, resize and it's a hell!!!

Smart Guides don't work most of the time.

FORGET THE GRID (not the point in this problem).

Example 1:

I have 2 guides one vertical and one horizontal that cross eacother, I want to start a rectangle (Tool M) from the intersection to another intersection of another 2 guides, when you place the cursor near the starting intersection it doesn't snap to the guides, neither on the other intersection where you want the rectangle to end!

So I need to activate the bounding box, zoom in resize on one corner then go to the other and do the same, it's ridiculous.

Example 2:

When you grab a rectangle and want to place it in the corner of a guide intersection, you need to grab the exact corner to do that and drop it very close to the intersection and it does snap to the guides, BUT when you grab the rectangle from the middle (when you don't have the "Object Selection by Path Only" activated) it's impossible to snap it to any guide!!! That is a bum!

In Freehand doing these kind of tasks was so much easier and totally precise when you did that.

You had the option of Snap to Guides, AND Snap to Points.

Can someone tell me if Smart Guides just don't work properly and why do we have such ridiculous precision errors when we want to draw very precise...?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

I'm a pretty experienced AI user as of CS3, so I was pissed when I upgraded to CS6 last week and couldn't get an object path to snap to another object path easily. CS3 was perfect. But after a few hours of frustration I think I've figured it out. My settings are below, but read the last paragraph to see what I think the real solution is.

Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display:

• Tolerance: 3 px
  • Uncheck "object selection by path only"
  • Check "snap to point" 8 px
  • Check "control click to select objects b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me tell you what the problem is...

The problem is that "I have the same question" button in these post still have just a few clicks. Maybe when the number there reach thousands and thousands, Adobe will decide to pay attention about this BIG PROBLEM!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20+ versions in, it's clear that the Illustrator team WILL NEVER understand intuitive UX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Illustrator for decades and have never been more dissappointed and frustrated because I cannot move objects precisely. I do not know what the developer did but perhaps it has to do with the pixel grid, but I used to be able to place objects precisely relationship to other items. But no more. I have tried changing settings, unselecting snap to pixel grid and nothing works. I have never been so dissappointed in Adobe. They have ruined the program in my estimation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a joke for Adobe to state this problem has been solved. Imprecise object alignment and snap to guide or object has been the Illustrator formula for more than a decade. You can reset Preferences till the cows come home, turn on Smart Guides ad nauseum - none of this has any effect on performance.

For every precise object placement, the work process is as follows:

1. "Snap" to object in Outline mode.
  2. Zoom in to 64000% (requires several steps) in order to see that the alignment is waaaaaay off.
  3. Squint and drag object until the outline of each object appears as one outline.
  4. Repeat until you have to see an orthopedic surgeon and find another career.

Clearly, adobe doesn't care about critical basic functionality or the user experience.

Adobe Inc. Business Strategy:

1) Add more features   2) Raise the price   3) Force users to pay monthly for the privilege without ever owning the application they are paying for - Stop paying and you have no access to the files you have created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2024 and  this matter has not evolve a bit... I hope another develloper will take its customers needs more seriously.  Adobe at least quit pretending this subject has been taken care of, your detailed "solution" is nothing more than a time waster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @defaultgn5ldnk4o0di,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/41gprll), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines