• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preserving Art Brush details when using Live Paint Bucket

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed my own brush to use for line work with illustrations, but when I want to add colour to the drawing using the Live Paint Bucket tool (K) a dialogue message pops up saying "Complex visual appearance attributes such as brushes, live effects... options may be lost when converting to a Live Paint Group". When you press OK, the line work I've created with the Art Brush applied converts to a rounded Basic looking stroke. 

This also happens when you create width profiles and use that with the Basic stroke style. It will convert your ine work back to a Basic rounded line that lacks any cool variation you might have wanted.

Does anyone know how I can avoid my line work being simplified when using the Paint Tool, or if theres another way to colour in line work without compromising the art brush applied?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

You could expand the brush strokes to shapes before using live paint. They won't be easily editable afterwards, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Hi Monika, thanks for replying. I think that would be the last resort! Like you say, harder to edit after. I'd love to keep them as strokes ideally!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could expand the brush strokes to shapes before using live paint. They won't be easily editable afterwards, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, thanks for replying. I think that would be the last resort! Like you say, harder to edit after. I'd love to keep them as strokes ideally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what I went with in the end! So long as I don't enlarge the outline after it's been flattened, my lines will be consistent between drawings 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also make a copy on a layer above and lock the layer.

Use the layer below for the Live Paint.

After expanding the Live Paint, you can delete the stroke group from the Live Paint layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton! A good option... I'll try this for sure! Seems the best option so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear, Sophie, let us know if it works for you when you've tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines