Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print Background Grid

Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to print the background grid?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. But you could create one easily using the transform-effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can manually create a grid but I was hoping for something even easier. Like "print background grid", it seems like this would be an obvious feature that would come in handy, at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no print/output option to print the grid. Easiest way to print existing grid is:

1. Set your view to 100%
  2. Hide all layers
  3. Shift command 4 (MAC) to take a screenshot (crop carefully on your page)
  4. place that screenshot on a top layer in your docuement and set blending mode to multiply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mike,

That's another good work around but why do we need a work around at all? I feel like this is something adobe should have resolved by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes grids have been around for along time, and I do recall other people requesting this long ago. Though we desire the software we use to be perfect, we are not in a perfect world, and what may seem like a no brainer to us, is one of thousands of requests sent in to Adobe.

I have a long list of feature requests myself, and hope to see some of them make an Adobe update in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please elaborate on transform effect, it's not readily available and the detail I'm requiring is not resolved from the "take a screenshot" suggestion...

Thank you for your advice

-G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just (possibly) a more efficient way of drawing the gridlines manually, except the lines will all be an 'effect' of a single line instead of separate objects.

Say you have a square artboard, 1000 x 1000 px.

Create a single line down the left side of the artboard top to bottom (use smart guides to align it perfectly).

Select it and go Effect > Distort & Transform ) Transform.

Apply a 20px horizontal move. Add 50 copies. Apply.

Add another transform effect (select 'Apply new effect' in the dialog box that follows)

Apply a 90 degree angle and add 1 copy. Apply.

You'll now have a grid of 20px squares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is unbelievable that there is not an option to print gridlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines