Highlighted

Print on demand save as/export cmyk and rgb

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been learning illustrator for a few months now and would now like to start make some designs that I can uppload to print on demand websites like teespring/redbubble/merch by amazon.

Now I am not quite sure yet how to save the design properly for print. I understand how to export as -> then with 300 ppi,  None anti-aliasing (according to teespring) and transparent but what I am wondering is regarding cmyk and rgb.

I know that this has been asked before but I didn't feel like I got the hang of it. So cmyk is for print so that is what I want it to be saved as.

So I already have designs I would like to print I only want to save them properly in cmyk format. 

What I am doing is converting the whole file from rgb to cmyk and then do export as -> use artboards -> then with 300 ppi,  None anti-aliasing (according to teespring) and transparent. Is that enough? is it in cmyk then?

I get confused when selecting the elemet I want printend and press edit colors and "convert to rgb" is in grey. Does that mean that rgb is selected or that it is not possible to select rgb since the file is in cmyk?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

[Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

CMYK isn't a generic thing. There are many diffferent kinds of CMYK, to match diffferent kinds if only and paper. Use the wrong CMYK and your results may be unacceptably bad. So you CANNOT prepare one CMYK file and have the job done. In preparing files for print you have to start with the detailed diecifucations from the print provider. Many people starting out look for the "best apps and settings pros would use". But what pros do is find out each job's details first. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Print on demand save as/export cmyk and rgb

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been learning illustrator for a few months now and would now like to start make some designs that I can uppload to print on demand websites like teespring/redbubble/merch by amazon.

Now I am not quite sure yet how to save the design properly for print. I understand how to export as -> then with 300 ppi,  None anti-aliasing (according to teespring) and transparent but what I am wondering is regarding cmyk and rgb.

I know that this has been asked before but I didn't feel like I got the hang of it. So cmyk is for print so that is what I want it to be saved as.

So I already have designs I would like to print I only want to save them properly in cmyk format. 

What I am doing is converting the whole file from rgb to cmyk and then do export as -> use artboards -> then with 300 ppi,  None anti-aliasing (according to teespring) and transparent. Is that enough? is it in cmyk then?

I get confused when selecting the elemet I want printend and press edit colors and "convert to rgb" is in grey. Does that mean that rgb is selected or that it is not possible to select rgb since the file is in cmyk?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

[Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

CMYK isn't a generic thing. There are many diffferent kinds of CMYK, to match diffferent kinds if only and paper. Use the wrong CMYK and your results may be unacceptably bad. So you CANNOT prepare one CMYK file and have the job done. In preparing files for print you have to start with the detailed diecifucations from the print provider. Many people starting out look for the "best apps and settings pros would use". But what pros do is find out each job's details first. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With these printing services most of the time printing from an RGB file gives you brighter colors. So you should check with their file specifications. Maybe ask in specialized forums for those services.

As for the resolution: ppi doesn't  matter as long as you meet their pixel dimensions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

thank you for the answer.

Can you help me understand just one more thing. If I do want a file to be saved/exported in cmyk can I simply change the file color mode or do I have to do anything else? 

I already have the designs ready and I think they are in rgb.

So I get confused when after I have changed the file color to cmyk and I then select the object and go to edit colors and "convert to rgb" is greyed and even if I press on "convert to cmyk" there "convert to rgb" is still greyed. 

Those that mean that the object/group is still in rgb or that it cant be converted to rgb since the file is in cmyk?

The pictures beneath shows what I mean.

.File color modeFile color modeEdit color "Convert to rgb" is grey why??Edit color "Convert to rgb" is grey why??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting document color mode is all you need to do.

You can also convert when using the "Export as" function to export to pixel based formats.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Test screen name,

Seems like you know quite alote about cmyk, color and printing in general. So I am thankfull for your answer!

So I came to the conclusion of exporting the files the way I described based on what teespring adviced: https://community.teespring.com/design-best-practices/ and https://community.teespring.com/training-center/design-file-tips-best-practices/

So do you think that will cover it or what prosess should I go through in order to make sure the print meets my own and customers expectations?

Maybe I'm out looking for some quick fix but there are so many people making designs on these websites and it feels kind of weird if it would be so hard to save the design correctly? Surely not all designers heres are "pros", no dissrespect.

Now I get that if you print a high quality and high quantities of books or something it is super picky with the results, but for print on demand on these websites there must be some general way to save the designs for highest chance of good quality?

Do you do print on demand? What process do you go through when upploading something that should be printed? 

It would mean a lot if you could give me some more advice on this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have an RGB workflow. So they have it optimized for RGB files, but won't reject CMYK.

Unfortunately they don't mention color profiles. So maybe when working in sRGB you're most safe, but who knows. You can only contact them and ask.

Or go into their forums and ask people for their experience with the service.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Resources