Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem converting .ai to .png [Photo attached]

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. Nice to be here. I'll also help out where I can.

Right now I have a problem.

I'm trying to convert .ai vectors in .png on Adobe Illustrator CC 2015. The vector isn't staying intact through the conversion. How should I convert my .ai vector into a .png without being altered. I've attached an example of my problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Stella,

To add to what Larry said, a PNG is a raster image which will look awful unless a number of conditions are met, see more below.

For presentation at a particular size, a PNG may do fine.

This may sound unforgivably outdated and boring, sorry.

If you wish to have PNGs (PNG24 (also (little) known as PNG32, it holds 24 bit colour and 8 bit Alpha channel (transparency)), of course) look crisp and clean, it is important to have the images in the exact desired final pixel x pixel si

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stella,

Have you ticked the option Art Optimzed (in whichever way you are saving/exporting)?

Have you ticked Transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob!

That worked thanks a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Stella.

As you may have noticed, there is also the corresponding Type Optimized.

Apart from that, just to make sure of its being said, for best/unblurred appearence, for web/screen use, the size of a PNG in pixels x pixels (forget about high resolution) must match the actual size displayed (or be larger by the/any power of 2).

And welcome to these friendly forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob,

The other day when I said it worked... well I just realise it didnt. I got to exited and didnt look properly at the png file. I still have the same problem.

I have little experience using this program especially saving and exporting stuff. The end product of my work is for sale in an online shop as bundle of vectors. Therefore everything need to be perfect. Is there an other way for me to do this conversion ai to png without being altered?

Thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot change an AI file into an image (PNG) and still have vectors. You can export a PDF and still have vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

Sorry what I meant was, how should I convert my .ai vector into a .png without being altered? The end product of my work needs to be a png image that is identical to my ai. file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stella,

To add to what Larry said, a PNG is a raster image which will look awful unless a number of conditions are met, see more below.

For presentation at a particular size, a PNG may do fine.

This may sound unforgivably outdated and boring, sorry.

If you wish to have PNGs (PNG24 (also (little) known as PNG32, it holds 24 bit colour and 8 bit Alpha channel (transparency)), of course) look crisp and clean, it is important to have the images in the exact desired final pixel x pixel size, forget about resolution which may actually lead to wrong sizes and hence blurriness. It is easiest and safest to work at the desired size.

A very common unsuitable way is to Export to PNG (remember to use PNG24 and use Transparency for artwork to be in front of different backgrounds) with a medium or high resolution, such as 300PPI.

To retain the clean and crisp artwork, a PNG must be created at exactly the pixel x pixel size that it is to be used for (or second best at sizes that are powers of 2 times as large).

For clean and crisp artwork avoid JPEG.

It is also important to have the artwork and also the Artboard placed fully within integer/whole pixel X and Y values in the Workspace. Otherwise the resulting image will become a bit wider/taller and the extension(s) will be empty and therefore be white.

Therefore, the safest way is to create the artwork at the final pixel x pixel size and use a corresponding Artboard, then either use the Legacity Save for Web (where you can look in the Image Size window for size confirmation) or Export at 72PPI. In either case, use the relevant optimization (available with both ways); it is also convenient to have 72PPI in the Effect>Document Raster Effect Settings.

If you have pure vector artwork, you can relax a bit and have the artwork/Artboard at any size (the Artboard must have the same proportions as the final image), then use the Legacity Save for Web and set either Width or Height in the Image Size and Apply (make sure the other value is also correct).

The Legacy Save for Web may be an old carthorse, but it knows its way home, even if the driver is drunk and sleeping it off in the hay in the back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Thanks for your time and reply. I appreciate.

I will try my best to put what you shared in practice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Stella.

I for one hope that you will share your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

It's me again! 

I'm still encountering the same issue. I decided to reccord a short video of my screen to show the steps I'm taking for converting ai to png. 

Hope someone can spot where I'm missing somthing. 

Thanks

https://www.loom.com/share/d58ee6ef243c4cd98a46e0df9cd889d9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.

I finally resolve the problem thanks to Monika_Gause who answered it in another post.

Looking back at my initial post, I see that I wasn't specific enough about my problem.

Which was Illustrator exporting dashed lines with solids line behind them. I wanted to share my findings with the community with a short video showing the steps I’ve take to fix the problem just in case someone else searches for this in the future.

https://www.loom.com/share/72fcf521b1a14248a1a44e8468a0676f

Link of Monika_Gause post :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-exporting-dashed-line-with-a-solid-line-behin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines