• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem creating new pattern swatches

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very familar with Illustrator (CS4) except I keep having this one issue!!!!  I know how to make new swatches, solid color or a pattern, but have been having problems with making a new pattern swatch.  For example, say it's a basic square with some lines it in, or a plaid pattern or something, I drag it over into the swatch area and it's supposed to create a new swatch in there.  This does not happen more times than most.  When I drag it over it highlights the swatch window black like it is going to recieve it, but then nothing happens.  I've tried expanding the art, rasterizing it, drawing a transparent box on it, trying to somehow make it a symbol first, I dunno.  Can't figure it out.  If anyone can help me, I would be soooooooo happy!  I am working on a brand new macbook pro with 4G RAM and have no other programs open.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

I had this problem before. Instead of dragging into pattern swatches, I selected the pattern and clicked edit>define pattern. Turns out I had hidden guides selected, which cannot be placed in a pattern. View>guides>clear guides. It work for me.

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select one of those objects and make a screenshot while the Appearance panel is expanded, then post that screenshot here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 1.21.46 PM.png

Here is a screen shot.  I just tried dragging this into the swatch area and you can see how that area highlighted black like I mentioned, but no new swatch was created ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are dragging the to the group folder or onto a group that will not happen as color groups are only colors not patterns.

You drag to a color group folder t best if it is an empty group it will add a swatch for red and the gray if the color group has one of the colors already in the group you cannot add colors from the swatch and even if you could it would not create a pattern swatch.

Think about it for a second and you will see the logic.

A pattern group might be useful for textile and carpet industries, wallpaper and even maybe electronics but that does not exist.

When I drag this onto a grup or the group folder I get no where as well but drag to an empty area of the swatches panel or between toe swatches all is fin.

Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 4.43.14 PM.png

If this is not the problem then I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you're viewing all swatches?

Press trhe little button, second from the left at the bottom of the Swatches palette. You should get this:

swatches.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem before. Instead of dragging into pattern swatches, I selected the pattern and clicked edit>define pattern. Turns out I had hidden guides selected, which cannot be placed in a pattern. View>guides>clear guides. It work for me.

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SAVED me! Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, in my case, when I had trouble, I had to make sure the image was embedded. Otherwise, it acts stupid and doesn't want to allow you to drag and drop or even select "Define Pattern" from the Edit menu.

Once it is embedded, it should be okay. Hopefully between all of these different answers one of them will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post everyone. I had the same problem but chrisdelafave's post helped me find out what my issue was... thank god!!! I clicked edit>define pattern and a notification stating 'patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern' popped up. Although a pattern wasn't included in my drawing, a colour swatch I created was. This colour was lifted off another reference using an eyedropper and therefore does not contain a colour code (ex.CMYK) which isn't technically a true colour (according to AI). I replaced the sampled swatch with a similar hue (yellow in my situation) and it worked. I highlighted my drawing, dragged it into the swatches folder and, presto, a new pattern.

So glad I didn't go with plan C; whipping my laptop on the ground wouldn't have worked but it sure would of felt good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God, it worked.....Thankss a lot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm facing the same issue with a pattern and I used a yellow color which in the swatches table it shows a small white trangle at the corner of the color. Is this indicating it is not being recognized by AI? I removed the color from my pattern and replaced it but I still cant seem to drag the pattern to my swatches library to create it. Any tips you can offer on how you resolved this issue? 

Now I drag the pattern to the swatches library and it looks like it is going to accept it but it doesnt yet I dont get any error message either. Not sure what I did wrong

Please help if you have any advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Pattern maker instead of dragging.

Select what you want to be a pattern and choose Object > Pattern > Make.

Adjust until it previews right and click > Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that too  and it then gives me the same warning that a Pattern can not be contain anything with a painted pattern. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to inspect the contents of what you are dragging to the swatches panel and make sure that none of the fills or strokes contain a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please elaborate? I have only solid colors in my pattern. There are no patterns filling my drawing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously there are. Otherwise the warning wouldn't show. Please show a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set your Swatches panel to show patterns only to detect which one was used.

If you drag a rectangle filled with a solid color to the swatches panel, it looks like a color swatch, but it is a pattern.

patt swatches.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I was getting the same issue. I figured it was an error on my side. Some of the objects in my selection were not filled with solid colors. I advise you to check the 'Fill' of all your objects. Make sure it is a solid or gradient color. It will be an issue if it's filled with a pattern. This is when the error message 'patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern' comes. Hope it helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the image need to be embedded first before you drage it to the switch panel once you do this it will work inshallah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines